The candle burns for McCandless

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Raph

The candle burns for McCandless

Postby Raph » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:12 am

I stumbled across the doco 18 months ago on TV here in Australia, and watched it with fascination. I then hired the film on dvd, and have just finished reading the book.
The fascination with the story is the tragedy of it. Had he hiked out successfully, there wouldn't be much of a story.

Like Scott of the Antarctic, Burke and Wills here in Australia, or any other adventurer who perished seeking something tangle or otherwise - the story of McCandless is one where we'll always think to ourselves "What if..."

If only he'd hiked down the river, if only he'd done this or done that.

I think all the criticism and scorn that's been heaped on Chris from so called 'experienced' hunters and woodsmen is totally unfair. They are comparing him to themselves, as if Chris was tryint to emulate them.

He wasn't - he was on his own journey of self discovery. He knowingly and willingly walked in to the wild under prepared. He wanted to challenge himself like he'd never been challenged before - having already proven his extraordinary skills at surviving on the road like a 1930s tramp for almost 2 years.

These same people who criticis Chris - have they never driven a car while drunk? Have they never done anything reckless in their youth? Do they pour the same scorn on a kid who kills himself behind the wheel of a car cos drove faster than he knew how to handle? What was it Christ said - he who has not sinned cast the first stone?

These big tough woodsmen need to get off their high-moose and show a bit of respect for an idealistic, intelligent, brave, adventurous young man who gave his life to hold on to his princicples.

He didn't have a death wish, he just skated too close to the edge of existence for too long, tipping over the precipice when he could no longer hold on.

I am 44 years old and this story of the young idealist moved me, resonated with me, and reminded me of how I was as a young man. I too dreamt of disappearing from society to live in the wild - but I never had the courage of my convictions - Chris died because he had that courage most of us lack.

Chris's story is an archetpye - it will go on appealing to people of all ages for years to come, because it's ageless.

I have nothing but admiration for him and although I would not choose to do what he did - I admire him for trying it.

Those of us who regard McCandless as a hero - myself included - may be seen as romantic fools by some - if so I'll wear that moniker.

Some of us happen to believe it's the romantic fools that lead the human race out of the darkness.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”