Was Chris autistic?

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Jedidiah

Re: Was Chris autistic?

Postby Jedidiah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:18 am

pezar wrote:Autism is frequently mistaken for schizophrenia by many people, and in fact used to be called "childhood schizophrenia" in the old days. A number of people have suggested that Chris was schizophrenic, but it doesn't fit-he never said anything about hearing voices. It's been suggested, also, that the founders of the world's great religions, such as Buddha and Jesus, were autistic. Who in their right mind gives up a life as a pampered prince (Buddha), a successful carpenter (Jesus), or a life as a privileged upper middle class person (Chris), to wander the earth, live among the destitute, in search of ultimate truth? Most "neurotypicals" simply can't comprehend actually DOING it, no matter how much they admire those who do. Autistics typically don't care about manipulating people in order to get a leg up, and in fact are utterly unable to do so. They don't care about being rich, or having stuff. They're more likely to contemplate the Big Questions, why does the universe exist, why am I here, that sort of thing. The thing with an autistic person is, their brain is wired differently from a NT. They're Macs in a Windows world, to use one well known metaphor. Why didn't Chris search for a place where he could cross the Teklanika safely? Maybe it simply didn't occur to him. An autistic sometimes can't see the most obvious solution unless it is pointed out to him.

This is interesting. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7 years old. Often times ADHD can be confused with being Manic depressive or a lower spectrum autistic. I relate so closely to what the current view of Christopher is, both in morals and the drive to do the impossible. You guys wouldn't understand the risks I take sometimes. In my own personal opinion, I could see Christopher as being autistic but if he was it wouldn't change my perspective of him. People just need learn that learning/neurological disabilities are nothing to be afraid of. People like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michael Jordan, Will Smith, Elvis, Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg, Babe Ruth, Walt Disney, JFK, Ben. Franklin, Pres. Lincoln, Pres. Roosevelt, Pres. Eisenhower, and Beethoven all had ADD/ADHD and exhibited the same traits as Christopher McCandless. See the websites http://www.adhdtexas.com/famouspeople.htm and http://www.adhdrelief.com/famous.html (references)

Kris1989

Postby Kris1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 pm

pezar wrote:Here's one angle to the CM story that a lot of people may not have considered, but some people who are familiar with autism, including some who have the disorder, think that Chris was mildly autistic. There are several areas that make me think so, as related to known symptoms and my personal experience as an autistic male.

1) Sensory issues. The assistant manager of McD's in Bullhead City noted that Chris HATED to wear socks. He would strip them off as soon as he got off work. Also, he apparently had poor hygiene, as noted by the fact that he came to work stinky, and he apparently distended his teeth to the point where a dental crown came off when he was in Alaska. Autistics have TONS of issues with senses, and especially touch. Many of us HATE the feeling of water on our skin, and thus bathe infrequently. I know that I have to literally force myself to get in the shower, and if I don't have a good reason to I won't. When I was little I hated to wear socks and shoes, and even today I don't wear shoes in my house.

2) Lack of "normal" relationships. Autistics have problems socializing, and many have a hard time with romance or friendship. Chris never had a romantic relationship, which is odd for a teen/young adult, and had few close friends. He had a couple female friends, but he never tried to take those platonic friendships to a romantic/sexual level. This again is common among autistics-many have a low sex drive.

3) Attraction to wandering/tramp lifestyle. Even as little toddlers, autistics will jump from windows and wander away. Chris apparently did this too. My parents had to put in fencing to keep me in one place. On forums for autistics, the subject of being a wanderer comes up often.

4) High moral standards. Autistics do NOT compromise their morals. They can't be "bought" or distracted. Chris had such high moral standards that he found his parents lacking, and cut them off, which is extreme but in line with what some autistics will do.

5) Unique viewpoints. Autistics often have views on things that many consider odd. Chris was so hard to pin down that not even Jon Krakauer could do it.

There's a lot more, including the "eccentric" maternal grandfather-I had one too. The fact that the female child shows no symptoms-autistics are 80% male. I really think Chris had autism, but died before a diagnosis was formulated for it (DSM-IV, 1994).

Hmmm your point really makes me think.. It's possible. Maybe it wasn't a severe sort of case but a slight one..

inspiredbychris

Postby inspiredbychris » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Your insight is fascinating as I had never thought of Chris as being autistic. It is certainly possible, but I think his parents or sister would have released that information by now...

KDay

Postby KDay » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm

I think it's really upsetting that people are talking about autism as a negative thing... As though the idea that Chris was autistic detracts from him as a person... Horrible! I think he definitely had some form of autism, at the milder end of the spectrum. I find it inexplicable that people admire what he did, his family were so worried about him! And totally right to be! Maybe it's just as I'm close to my own family, but honestly, how could anyone do that with a clear consciense (sp??) - I feel bad if I don't speak to my mother for two days!!! Maybe I'm missing the point? But he basically starved himself to death (or poisoned himself accidentally). How is that inspirational? I do agree that giving up material things and getting to know nature a bit is a good idea but to the point of dying to do that? No!

KDay

Postby KDay » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:14 pm

inspiredbychris wrote:Your insight is fascinating as I had never thought of Chris as being autistic. It is certainly possible, but I think his parents or sister would have released that information by now...

Autism, particularly at the milder end of the spectrum, often goes undiagnosed... It can just be interpreted as 'eccentric' behaviour.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:05 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:39 pm

SteveSalmon wrote:No he wasn't Autistic. Give me a break. How does anyone draw that conclusion from a photograph or two and or the fact that he left without saying goodbye

I totally agree with that!

KDay

Postby KDay » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 am

SteveSalmon wrote:Labels, labels, labels.
No he wasn't Autistic. Give me a break. How does anyone draw that conclusion from a photograph or two and or the fact that he left without saying goodbye to his parents meant there must be something wrong with him? Just because it doesn't add up to YOUR ideals doesn't mean that something was broken about Chris. Just because your childhood meant calling home every 2 hours doesn't mean that was the reality he lived in. Do your research, there is plenty of crystal clear evidence that proves he wasn't Autistic.

What is your crystal clear evidence?! Again, being autistic is NOT being broken! And I'm drawing my conclusion from more than a photograph or two - I wouldn't make that kind of statement without doing research.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrjeeves007

Postby Mrjeeves007 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:15 pm

I also believe Chris was on the high functioning autism-aspergers spectrum. For the reasons already listed at the beginning of this discussion and a few others i recognised whilst watching the movie. I'm 29, travelling around the world solo and was diagnosed over a year ago. Not a nice feeling finding out at 28 but its a lot more common than people think and effects everyone differently.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”