Chris knew and wanted to die

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
tigertiger

Chris knew and wanted to die

Postby tigertiger » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:16 am

From my understanding Chris knew he would die and even wanted this outcome. He spent 113ish days in Alaska and had enough. His whole trip was
marred and did not go as expected at all. At least he had the dignity to do it to himself and not involve others. Though sadly I wish he had invloved someone and created a reason to live.

My understanding of this comes from the picture he took a photo holding the statement: “I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!”. He wrote on a postcard "This is the last you will hear from me Wayne" & " if this adventure proves fatal and you don't ever hear from me again'.

As far as I am concerned for this and other obvious reasons he knew he was likely to die. I understand he found it difficult to deal with his childhood and family situation, we all deal with things differently. Chris was weak. I believe he wanted to be looked for, he wanted his parents to prove their love for him and get off their selfish, stubborn, lying backsides put money to the side and go get him, hold him and tell him everythings gonna be ok. I think they could have made an effort to find him and if they did they would have. I think he may have even known about the 2 crossings but chose not to use them. He made many stupid and stubborn decisions. Did he want to actually start his journey from further South, even the very southern tip of south USA? That would have been an adventure. Maybe he feared issues, kidnap or failure to reach Alaska so destroyed his ID on purpose.

Travelled around to an extremely vicious climate that will always laugh at human beings with no money and little knowledge. Did he not have the information about the seeds? (in the movie)? Was this eaten on purpose? He came to the end, no one came for him, he was too proud to go back and wanted to be
found in the bus with the camera roll exactly as he was to spit in his parents face? He should have done this differently. We all want to live carefree and without the 'problems' of money but we are well past this and must get with the program to survive. I even feel it would be better to work (not just a 9-5) and save money and give to causes you believe in rather than do nothing and not conform to capitalsim and consumerism only to achieve nothing. Doesn't everyone know we cannot survive on a single food type and we need a variety of nutrients? Imagine having to kill your own food? This affects people, i much prefer supermarkets. The idea is great but we are past that, we must be real.

I do believe the people whom call Chris names are justified as they are also protectors of stupid people from dying tragically. When you read the names he has been called makes you think not to do such things and be more responsible. Just because someone has passed does not make them a nice person or entitle them to be spoken about kindly when they do not deserve this. Fact, most people on the planet are stupid, therefore most people that have passed are stupid, Therefore in reality most people cannot be spoken about highly even though they have passed. Anyway.

When I was 15 I was homeless for 3 weeks, yep 3 weeks, felt like 3 months becuase I was 15. I survived well as I had friends who spent time with me and fed me. I will never forget those days. I learnt, never ever to go back. I worked, worked hard, started my own business and became successful. In this I now spend a lot of money providing items for homeless people in a few towns near where I live and give various items out. I hate money but not in a way that is detrimental to my life. I also love money, it does help if used in the right way. But wow, I neve ever want to be in that position again. I like to be spontaneous but also plan things carefully and get the best enjoyment out of my travels. Life goes both ways.

I could tell you stories about my parents and what happened to me but parents are just people also, they live and learn. People need to accept this, i tried for many years and just realised they are useless stupid people and I need to concentrate on me and my life and learn from their mistakes and not force this upon others or my family, the family i create. I dislike his parents also, but people are people. Live for yourself. Some of my family used money against me, they all lied extensively but in the end the one who used money against me ended up bankrupt in their old age and the others live a tough lifeless existence unable to see that they could not make friends with anyone due to their obvious lies. It was always the same, new friends, short lived. Always doing things to affect me but affected themselves. What goes around comes around.

I have lived well though it took a few years of hard work, I have travelled extensively and have had a much better life than I ever expected.
I would have rather read such from Chris than he died cold and hungry in Alaska which is strange as it's warm and food is plentiful there, right?!

Chris could have lived better, could have had his own family and i'm sure he would have live a clean wholesome life with them full of love. He did not have to live near his family and could have been at peace ignoring them and getting on with his life and his siblings if he desired. This way he just comes across as an idiot. If he was such a nice guy why not make friends and live an adventure. I got by with people taking interest, being kind, learning and making important friends whom I learnt from as I spoke well to them. Chris could not handle the issues he faced in his family. Many experience similar and worse. The lesson is to live better, they will never admit it anyway but when they see you living better than them it eats them from the inside. Especially if they have not helped or have actively programmed you to accept that they are right.

So these are my thoughts and I get the disinct impression he wanted to die almost to teach them a lesson, for them to take notice, for
them to regret their actions... Clearly from seeing his parents in return to the wild, they still don't care. They will not admit they are in the
wrong, in fact it seems they blame Chris. So though he was stupid, F his parents. This was just his way of dealing with the problem.

Alaskan103

Re: Chris knew and wanted to die

Postby Alaskan103 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:14 pm

No,
To live life in total freedom, requires one to live as Chris lived. And it also comes with great danger. To him, I believe, it wasn't to try to live off land or punish anybody, he simply yearned for the freedom that only comes from living without any backup, any safety. And as I think every person who has lived to be 30 knows that when your 20 you can be very inpatient, eager, have strong will, be stubborn, and overconfident. These qualities, all together, are bound to create problems. If you think about it, people who climb mountains, makes solo trips across wilderness, etc, aren't people without training and experience. They know how to survive. But again, I don't belive it was Chris's first priority to survive, to be safe, to have a backup, but simply he wanted to experience the total freedom.

This freedom, you can experience if you venture out your front door, leave all technologies behind and head for the great wild. A person thinking about security wouldn't do that, because he would be thinking about returning. And I believe Chris wanted to live, and wanted to make it, but experiencing that total freedom doesn't come without risks. And he knew that.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”