Removal of the bus

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Ace Rimmer

Removal of the bus

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:26 am

In my opinion, The Alaska National guard made the wrong decision in Removing the bus from the site of Chris's adventures and ultimate death. It is, after all, his grave site and it had become a pilgrimage site now for many years. Even if that bus get's displayed in some museum, it will have no energy and ZERO spirit. The bus and the energy that it had, was tied to the site! it's just an empty shell now. Such a shame!!
Instead, more effort should have been made in building a bridge across the river. It is the river that posed the greatest threat. Bears and Mouse are threat no matter wear you go in Alaska. Also, they could have charged a hefty fee to hike the trail. I think with a bridge and a hefty fee, this would have helped. Also posted signs on the dangers. Besides all of this, people will still go there, so just make it safer. Dumb move, with little or no thought. In my opinion, the site is no longer sacred. What do you think?

erikhalfacre

Re: Removal of the bus

Postby erikhalfacre » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 am

Having personally been part of a team trying to convince the state to let us have a bridge built at our expense, twice, after each death that occurred on the river, I can honestly say I did my best to see that become a reality. Unfortunately, local buy-in for the project, which was necessary to get approval from the DNR, just did not exist.

Since locals would not allow a bridge, and the DNR has had the bus removed, and stated that they will not return it under any circumstances, the best we can do at this point is to preserve and protect the bus in as tasteful a way as possible. Though I agree that it will absolutely not be the same as visiting it on the Stampede Trail, I still think there is value in visiting the bus at the museum as well.

If you, or anyone reading this, are interested in where the bus is going next or how to be a part of it, please visit www.friendsofbus142.com
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Return to “Discussions on Chris”