Chris really had a girlfriend

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
Taly21

Chris really had a girlfriend

Postby Taly21 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 pm

Hello!
I'm reading the Carine's book 'The wild truth' and I'm surprised to read that Chris had a girlfriend on high school called Julie.
I've seen that this is an usual topic on this forum, but I haven't read anything about this girl before. I'm going to tell you some things for those who hasn't read the book. Not with a gossip purpose, just because I think is very interesting to everybody who like me wants to know more about Chris.

Carine tell on her book that on high school Chris had a girlfriend one year younger, called Julie Carnes. She describes her as a pretty and smart girl, who used to talk with Chris about complex issues like existentialism or transcendentalism. She also includes a photo of both in the dance prom and assures that Chris adored her.
After the prom Chris started to talk her about the future, he had thought a lot of plans to make together... like traveling to Alaska. However, she told him that she want to meet other boys and she wasn't prepared for a serious relationship, so she broke up with him. This happened one day when they were sitting on the yellow Datsun
Julie told Carine that Chris got angry and told her that she was like the other girls and that he couldn't believe he had thought she was different. After calming down he gives her an strong and long hug and then they never speak again.

I think it's strange that Krakauer didn't talk on his book about this. Didn't Carine talk about this?
When you read 'Into the wild' seems that Chris had a non-existent romantic life, suggesting also he was virgin. I'm not saying that the relationship with Julie means he wasn't virgin or gay (like I've read sometimes), but I think it's an important date to know more about Chris. For me, it reflects a very human part of Chris. And I must confess I found very cute how he prepared a picnic to her on their first date. It's something that I wouldn't have imagined about Chris.
Beyond this, I think the relationship with Julie shows us how much serious Chris taken human relations. It was also his first breakup and it was very painful for him because he loved her, and it was another disappointment with people. He seemed feel confident with her and he never told her anything about his family problems, he wanted to keep separate his parents from her. Maybe this first experience prevented him from having more relationships then, and maybe was other reason for his disappearance.
I'm not agree with mental illness theories, but I think some people would take the reaction of Chris after the breakup like a proof of that. Others maybe think he had a macho attitude, but I think it seems like a typical teenage scene.

What is your opinion? I think it's an important detail that Krakauer should have included, but I liked knowing this story in Carine's book. I hope have explain all well, sorry for my English, I'm a spanish fan of Chris.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”