Alexander Supertramp

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
BrendanD

Alexander Supertramp

Postby BrendanD » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:17 am

This was truly a unique man. Marched to his own tune and kept to his own path no matter what. I am sure he didn't mean to go the way he did, but we all have to go. I picked up the film from the shop and watched it with my wife. We both loved it. If the film reflected real life at all, Chris really was special. He seemed to have an ability to mix with people, to talk and to communicate. I know I would have liked him, and would have been happy to call him friend. Chris's story is wonderfully tragic. It warmed my heart all all the people he met, and all the things he accomplished. He must have been very brave to walk away from everything, and to unplug. I was very sad to know he died in that van in the wilds of Alaska, but not surprising. He did so well to make it as long as he did, through a tough winter, really living off what he found. Out of all the things he did, and even though he spent so much effort trying to cut free and walk away from everything, I think he realized what was important. People, family, others to share life with. And what matters was he tried to come back home. He tried to return. The end was sad, the end was tragic, but not the journey getting there. He seemed to meet so many people, so many wonderful caring people. They wanted him to stay, they loved him. The hippies in Slab city, the farmers, Ron the old war vet that had the leather shop.... they all saw him for who and what he was. They all reached out to him and tried to save him. It reminds me of the 1968 Golden Globe race around the world. Donald Crowhurst went off the deep end too. It is not so much the stories that parrallel, but what I heard about Donald Crowhurst that reminds me so much of Chris. "He went beyond the help of those that loved him." Yes he broke away and yes he achieved his goal, to find nature to see himself for who he was, but it just so happened that it made him ultimately vulnerable. If I could have reached out to him I would have. I would have held on to him harder, tried harder to save him, only if, I were that man that dropped him off in the wilderness in Alaska. But I was not, none of us were. Chris's story is one of honesty and truth..."give me truth". His was a great life, short but full... I find myself full of inspirtation as well as sorrow. Somewhere in there I feel hope swimming around, and I only wish someone could have been there with him in the end, no-one should die alone. But maybe with this site, and the book, and the film, we can redeem that, we can make it right for Chris and we can remember him, and make our own lives better in honour of him. I think a great man once said.... "To thy known self be true." I think we can all say that Chris was. What a journey and what insight for such a young man. God Bless you Chris.

FACEEAST

Re: Alexander Supertramp

Postby FACEEAST » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Out of everything I have read and tried to say this post is the best explanation yet , very well spoken!! outstanding!!

Return to “Discussions on Chris”