Final scene.

Here you can discuss anything relating to the movie Into The Wild
casey87

Final scene.

Postby casey87 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:58 am

Just a quick question about the final scene of the movie, what does Chris mean when he says, "What if I were
smiling and running into your arms? Would you
see then what I see now?"

solovoyager

Re: Final scene.

Postby solovoyager » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:54 am

I think this is purely a dramatic (and affective) invention of Sean Penn when Chris says that in the movie.
I think it more less means that the fictionalized character of Chris McCandless has now come to see the beauty and value in close relationships with those he loves and those that love him. In the case of the movie's ending - his family. Just my take on it anyway.
-Rich

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:20 am

It is definitely pure fiction, because as far as I know no technology has been developed so far that would allow to read a person's mind (especially without being present) ;)
And as I had already written somewhere else in this forum a while ago, I don't like this scene at all, not only because it seems to be quite made up in order to manipulate the opinion of the viewer, but also because IF he had had any thoughts like this, Carine would certainly have been included in the scene.

Declanpward

Postby Declanpward » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:00 pm

I would guess that this quote from the movie that you have posted is a dramatization added by the director to make it more interesting and intense. In the movie I also remember there being a bear at the end of the movie. For me this was actually recently cleared up for me. I read the book thinking he was killed by a bear in the end, but when I got there in the story it talked about how the bear was a spiritual representation of the evil things in his life or something like that. Is this what others gathered?

Return to “Discussions on the Movie”