what's your thoughts on the new DVD?

Here you can discuss anything relating to the movie Into The Wild
ellisd

what's your thoughts on the new DVD?

Postby ellisd » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:35 am

i thought it wasnt too bad. i admit it left quite a bit to be desired (in my respectful opinion). really wasn't impressed with how it was packaged i have to say. chris' "own movie" deserved more than a greeting card for a case. but hey, the way i see it is this: we all get to see chris in the midst of grand adventures. and to me thats worth more than the price of the dvd.

ladyandtramp

Re: what's your thoughts on the new DVD?

Postby ladyandtramp » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 am

I'm thinking about buying the DVD. Would you be able to tell me more about what was in it? Any motion picture of Chris?

Thank you in advance! :)

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:57 pm

There is no motion picture of Chris. There really isn't anything on the DVD that wasn't in the book, other than the voiceover and the music.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Personally I'm fine with the packaging. While I understand the idea of wanting something more for it, it's a bit more eco friendly, and probably a little more cost efficient with the thin card sleeve.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, as I was so exhausted yesterday I started falling asleep
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:19 pm

All's quiet on the new Back To The Wild DVD. Any thoughts on it from anyone who has watched it? Did you like it? Get anything out of watching it? Am sort of curious as to why there hasn't been more discussion about it on this message board.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:40 am

The best way to describe the DVD, is as a read-along for the book. It's the exact same content as the book. It doesn't really expand or ellaborate on it, it has the same photos but they are put to music and the captions/text is narrated. If you're more auditory than visual, you might like the dvd better than the book because of the way it delivers the content.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:30 pm

erikhalfacre wrote:The best way to describe the DVD, is as a read-along for the book. It's the exact same content as the book. It doesn't really expand or ellaborate on it, it has the same photos but they are put to music and the captions/text is narrated. If you're more auditory than visual, you might like the dvd better than the book because of the way it delivers the content.

Thanks Erik. I didn't know the DVD was basically the book on DVD. So there's no actual video then? It's OK if there isn't video. I guess I was hoping for that though. All in all, I am very pleased that the McCandless family put out Chris' photos in whatever form. I have the book Back To The Wild and enjoyed it a lot. I particularly enjoyed the photos from his solo Colorado River journey by canoe to the Sea of Cortez in Mexico.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:06 am

They're calling it a 'Ken Burns' style video, meaning it's just stills that move. Ken Burns does a lot of stuff with creating parallax and depth of field artificially though. It's really more like a narrated slideshow (of the photos that are in the book.)

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:22 pm

erikhalfacre wrote:They're calling it a 'Ken Burns' style video, meaning it's just stills that move. Ken Burns does a lot of stuff with creating parallax and depth of field artificially though. It's really more like a narrated slideshow (of the photos that are in the book.)

The first thing I thought of when you mentioned the documentary was all photos was Ken Burns documentaries which I happen to love. Still Burns does do filmed interviews with people talking on the subject which breaks up the monotony of seeing a bunch of photos. I would have liked to see Wayne Westerberg, Jan Burres, his parents and sister talking about Chris on the documentary.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:03 pm

I really liked the Nation Parks Series he did. It was pretty long though, I had to take it in chunks.

Return to “Discussions on the Movie”