was CHRIS a CHRISTian???

Here you can discuss anything relating to the movie Into The Wild
naturelover24

was CHRIS a CHRISTian???

Postby naturelover24 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:58 am

in the movie he visits the guy at Salvation Mountain, the old guy who loves JESUS. and then he says "thank the LORD and my God bless all!" I think by the time chris died, he realized what life is about. not his own selfish ambitions, but about living to serve God and others through our passions. and he didnt know it at the time, but he has saved so many people (like Christ) from setting themselves up for a predictable, passionless life in the job world, and to pursue dreams of traveling and adventure! any thoughts?? agree or disagree? :)

JesusIsLove777

Re: was CHRIS a CHRISTian???

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm

i dont know christ, oops haha chriS, might be. I think he wasnt a religious person but a person who loved God simply for the fact that he created such an earth with abundant resources for his happiness; nature :) any other thoughts/??

freeSpirit

Postby freeSpirit » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 pm

yeah i agree, i think chris did have a faith in God.

good question!

it seems something that not to many people address, despite it being mentioned in the movie on a few cases. like when chris and the old man (hal holbrook's character) are talking, and he says "God has placed it all around us. its in everything and anything we can experience." and when they meet the old man at Salvation Mountain.

i'm not sure if chris believe in Jesus, considering the way he acted at that scene. who knows tho. who knows if those scenes were even real occurences.

it might be just for cinematic purposes to make the film better i dont know.

does it ever mention chris saying that "god has placed it all around us" quote in the book?

i do know he had the sign that said ' thank the lord'

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:25 pm

freeSpirit wrote:yeah i agree, i think chris did have a faith in God.

good question!

it seems something that not to many people address, despite it being mentioned in the movie on a few cases. like when chris and the old man (hal holbrook's character) are talking, and he says "God has placed it all around us. its in everything and anything we can experience." and when they meet the old man at Salvation Mountain.

i'm not sure if chris believe in Jesus, considering the way he acted at that scene. who knows tho. who knows if those scenes were even real occurences.

it might be just for cinematic purposes to make the film better i dont know.

does it ever mention chris saying that "god has placed it all around us" quote in the book?

i do know he had the sign that said ' thank the lord'

I don't think he was a christian. I think based on seeing/reading movie/book he believed in God but he thought organized religion was corrupt. If/When you get a chance to read the book you will see glaring differences between the book and movie. The movie was great but even the director is under pressure to make a movie that the main-stream will pay money to see. This means having to take some liberties with the story but since Chris's sister Carine was involved in the production I have no problem with it.

freeSpirit

Postby freeSpirit » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:54 pm

yeah definiteley. considering how much of an individual chris was, i wouldnt think for a second that he would agree with/follow organized religion.. i think its something that more and more people are realizing is a scam, christian or not.

it is so routine, ritualized that if you ARE a believer it does nothing to bring you closer to God, but actually closer to the rituals. and if you arent a believer, then the boring repetitiveness and brainwashing of it all brings you away from religion AND God.. which are two entirely different things, i think..

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:06 am

freeSpirit wrote:yeah definiteley. considering how much of an individual chris was, i wouldnt think for a second that he would agree with/follow organized religion..

Yes, that's what one should think, but you never know. I was/am surprised he believed in any God bullshit at all. But as he used this mainstream vocabulary in his letters and good-bye note, perhaps he wasn't THAT much of an independent thinker after all. Who knows.

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Chris made numerous general references to God beyond the farewell note (see the excerpt from his journal on p. 37 - "God it's great to be alive! Thank you. Thank you."), but as an editorial writer for the Emory Wheel, he criticized the evangelical Christian right-wing sect. As to whether he subscribed to the Gospel of John theology that declares Jesus as the only way to God, I have my doubts. That's a bit of theology that was developed over a few hundred years.

freeSpirit

Postby freeSpirit » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 am

yeah i think being out alone in the wild he had to talk to someone, and i guess, from the looks of it, it wouldnt be too far-fetched to say that he talked to God, who knows for sure though right?? hahaha but yeah i agree with chris, i'd be critical of ALL religion that is out there. he was such an individual! :)

either Gods real or not, theres no in between; and IF God is real, then we can be sure (hopefully!) that chris is in Heaven :D

CabinLife

Postby CabinLife » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:18 am

any other thoughts on this? the movie portrayed that he saw earth has Gods creation... was that in the book?

Moose200x

Postby Moose200x » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 am

CabinLife wrote:any other thoughts on this? the movie portrayed that he saw earth has Gods creation... was that in the book?

He did write " I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!"

He believed in a god.

I do not. But rest assured Chris did.

Return to “Discussions on the Movie”