was CHRIS a CHRISTian???

Here you can discuss anything relating to the movie Into The Wild
CabinLife

Re: was CHRIS a CHRISTian???

Postby CabinLife » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Moose200x wrote:
CabinLife wrote:any other thoughts on this? the movie portrayed that he saw earth has Gods creation... was that in the book?

He did write " I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!"

He believed in a god.

I do not. But rest assured Chris did.

well good for him; chris doesn't seem like the person who would go in someting blind without proper research. i'm sure he meditated/thought about God and if He is real..
yeah he criticized the "christians" but most people do these days that also believe in God..

Moose200x

Postby Moose200x » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:49 am

CabinLife wrote:
Moose200x wrote:
CabinLife wrote:any other thoughts on this? the movie portrayed that he saw earth has Gods creation... was that in the book?

He did write " I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!"

He believed in a god.

I do not. But rest assured Chris did.

well good for him; chris doesn't seem like the person who would go in someting blind without proper research. i'm sure he meditated/thought about God and if He is real..
yeah he criticized the "christians" but most people do these days that also believe in God..

Don't forget Chris was also a member of his Emory's Young Republicans. I think his mind was conflicted at best.

Footloose

Postby Footloose » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 am

Religion (in my opinion) is merely a means of social control and directing behaviour. Although, it is also a great business scheme (you know, if you're not morally against taking advantage of people's gullibility in times of despair)! Even though it may seem so, I am not so much against the idea religion but what man has done with it, i.e. justifying murder, war, genocide, rape, slavery, etc... After all, false-hope is still a form of hope, and I can hardly blame people for seeking comfort from such means just as I cannot blame a grieving widow for seeking comfort from other fraudulent means, such as a psychic. I sorry for my painfully blunt answer, but no, I would assume that chris was far too intelligent to promote such malarky... *Waits for insults from ignorant christians who will not entitle me to my own opinion...*
I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche here: “A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.”
If atoms and particles behave in probabilistic ways, and our mind is made of atoms and particles, then how can free will exist?

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Well put, Footloose.
However, even though Chris seemed to be intelligent and free-minded etc., I'm not so sure about his religious beliefs. After all, in his final message, he used the words "Lord" and "God".
But who knows, maybe he had found an own and completely definition to these words.

kingdomdayz777

Postby kingdomdayz777 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 am

he definitely lived a Spiritual life. a Spiritual life is different than a religious. he might have developed a personal relationship with Jesus.. who knows for sure though.

Nitzan

Postby Nitzan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm

I love this discussion!
I was wondering about it when I saw the movie, and the one thing I could think of is that maybe he believed in god, just not in any religion or an institute.

I don't know, those religions has some very nice things in them yet almost each and every one of them was used to explain terror and blood shedding. maybe he wouldn't have wanted to take part in it, but wouldn't give up the Idea of having something bigger than us out there .
As character Ron said, he doesn't like the church yet have no problem with god.

kingdomdayz777

Postby kingdomdayz777 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 pm

ya religion is pretty much a waste of time.. i can't stand it. so useless (just my opinion) i follow Jesus Christ, and know God doesn't care about religion as well. :) maybe Chris agreed the same way; in those lonely situations he HAD to have talked to God on many occasions.. :)

Nitzan

Postby Nitzan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:47 am

kingdomdayz777 wrote:ya religion is pretty much a waste of time.. i can't stand it. so useless (just my opinion) i follow Jesus Christ, and know God doesn't care about religion as well. :) maybe Chris agreed the same way; in those lonely situations he HAD to have talked to God on many occasions.. :)

Thats nice,
I think it's great taking the good things from each religion, and believing in something your own way. God belongs to everyone.

Return to “Discussions on the Movie”