How has Into The Wild Changed You??

Here you can discuss anything relating to the movie Into The Wild
naturelover24

How has Into The Wild Changed You??

Postby naturelover24 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 am

Im 20 and live in the USA, and the instant after watching the PREVIEW for ITW in theaters, i knew this was a special movie. after seeing it, my life has NEVER been the same. That movie was like a gift from God telling me "this is your Destiny." It taught me how money and possessions are important, as well as the value of human relationships AND nature. no movie has EVER touched me the way ITW did. I can only watch it when im 100%, full on, in the mood for it. and dont wanna over watch it to diminish its value.

How as INTO THE WILD CHANGED YOUR LIFE??

ellisd

Re: How has Into The Wild Changed You??

Postby ellisd » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:42 am

it certainly change the way i see things in life. also showed me you can follow a dream and find happiness, and it also showed me happiness is better when its shared..but most of all, it re-instilled my love for nature i had when i was younger. also, it showed me how be more patient and open my eyes more to whats around me.

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:34 am

Not so much that it has changed me as a reawakening of my passion for life.
I had that same spirit as Chris at that age but over the years have gotten more and more pulled into the 40 hour week, gotta get that new car syndrome. Chris' story just smacked me in the face. Life is short and we only get out of it what we put into it. I've missed out on that great feeling of freedom and joy of being alive. I'm now planning how I'll be able to spend the next decade wintering at the Slabs in an old bus and summers somewhere at a remote lodge in the Canadian wilderness. I'm looking forward to it with a grin. So yeah, it changed me, it picked me up.

The other thing is it makes me want to reach out to others and say, HEY its there all around you, if you look for it you'll see it. Go out and enjoy it, but take care of yourself so you can share with others. Sharing is the best part, the memories of what you share with others is what you get to keep, its who you really are. The best things in life are free.
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

tove

Postby tove » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:31 pm

I am a 21 year old girl from sweden. I first came in contact with Into the wild while browsing my local book store. I found the krakauer book on the sales stand I after reading the back I knew that this story where to change my life.

I may be young but I feel confident when I say that I have been through lots of shit. I have had to evaluate and re-think my life options so many times. No matter how much I have tried to be happy, to be a good person and to share my love with the people I care about, more shit just seems to happen. I was in a vulnerable place at the time and being a person shy of pshycedelic drugs I needed new perspective in another way..

Reading Into the wild and later watching the movie I feel so grateful to Christopher for setting out on this adventure. He helped me facing the pressure and obstacles from todays society and following my heart in making the decisions that made me happy.. I have had my ups and downs since but when I think about the challenges he met everyday makes me wanna keep on struggling.. I try even harder to help my family to understand me and MY life choices. I don't ever do anything if I can't put my heart and ass into it. I have a bigger understanding for people to, I try to put myself in their shoes and often ponder what I would have done in their situation.

Chris definetly made me wanna be a better person, more true to myself and more true to life. And I love him so much for that.
what's said in a whisper won't survive in the roar.

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:52 am

Life can be hard. It can be hard on all of us and it can seem to get harder the farther along the path we go.
No one ever said it was going to be easy, but this is what we have. We have life, we have today, we can do something with it or throw it away.

I have found this verse puts it in perspective for me quite well, if I take the time to ponder it when I need to.

Yesterday, today and tomorrow

There are two days in every week we should not worry about, two days that should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.

Yesterday has passed, forever beyond our control. All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. Nor can we erase a single word we've said - yesterday is gone.

The other day we shouldn't worry about is tomorrow, with its possible adversities,
Its burdens, its large promise and poor performance.

Tomorrow is beyond our control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds but it will rise. And until it does,we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - today. Any person can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when we add the burdens of yesterday and tomorrow that we break down.

It is not the experience of today that drives people mad - it is the remorse of bitterness for something that happened yesterday, and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, live one day at a time!
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

stilltrekker

Postby stilltrekker » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 am

tove wrote:I am a 21 year old girl from sweden. I first came in contact with Into the wild while browsing my local book store. I found the krakauer book on the sales stand I after reading the back I knew that this story where to change my life.

I may be young but I feel confident when I say that I have been through lots of shit. I have had to evaluate and re-think my life options so many times. No matter how much I have tried to be happy, to be a good person and to share my love with the people I care about, more shit just seems to happen. I was in a vulnerable place at the time and being a person shy of pshycedelic drugs I needed new perspective in another way..

Reading Into the wild and later watching the movie I feel so grateful to Christopher for setting out on this adventure. He helped me facing the pressure and obstacles from todays society and following my heart in making the decisions that made me happy.. I have had my ups and downs since but when I think about the challenges he met everyday makes me wanna keep on struggling.. I try even harder to help my family to understand me and MY life choices. I don't ever do anything if I can't put my heart and ass into it. I have a bigger understanding for people to, I try to put myself in their shoes and often ponder what I would have done in their situation.

Chris definetly made me wanna be a better person, more true to myself and more true to life. And I love him so much for that.

I don't know if Chris' family reads this forum but I sure wish they could read your heartfelt message, Tove. It would mean a lot to them.

love11

Postby love11 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:14 pm

For me persoanlly, I'd have to say it's given me new perspective on life as a whole, the importence of people, appreciating the cards you've been dealt, and to never conform to anything that goes against your own truth regardless of the consequences imposed by society. It's inspiring :)

yarmony

Postby yarmony » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:30 am

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who felt a connection with CJM. I am now 24, the same age as C. McCandless when he died, and it makes me think more and more about the kind of person he was. I pity those who do not see the depth behind C. McCandless, his mind was bigger and more open to possibilities than anyone I have encountered; and ultimately was his demise. I have always been an outdoorsman, I was born and raised in the mountains and grew up hunting, fishing and trapping with my father.

In the past few years I have been so caught up in trying to make a life for myself that I forgot who I was, and the things in life I love the most. About the time the movie came out I began to spend more and more time soul searching, really putting my "way of life" in check and remembering the kid I was before careers-material-world-unnecessary-shit, and tried to remember a simpler time. A time when days were spent outside roaming the forest, shooting pop cans with a sling shot, climbing over old farm equipment, finishing a boy's day with a game of stick-ball in the col-de-sac. Last year I declared it "my year", not "my job's year" or "what the F am I supposed to be doing?" year. I had one of the most adventurous and enjoyable times in my life, and probably the best year of hunting I'll ever have. A lot of the time I spent it by myself reflecting, and must say there is wisdom in solitude.

I read and continue to flip through pages of "Into The Wild" strictly when I am outside to remind myself that the world is bigger than the car you drive, the furnishings in your house, and the clothes you wear. Humans came from nature, and we were given individuals like C. McCandless to remind us of who we really are. When I sit down for a meal now, I finish the plate, entirely, nothing left. CJM saved my life, I hope he knows that...

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:32 pm

DUDE (or dudette haha) YARMONY That was such an amazing story! that hit me to the core!

im so happy that Chris has reinvigorated your life! i hope you and everone else, continue to flourish through new adventures and relationships with people!!

the best "things" in life are people and nature indeed!

thanks Brother/Sister!! :)

Return to “Discussions on the Movie”