How did you find the book? Where were you?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
SteveSalmon

How did you find the book? Where were you?

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 am

Care to share a few lines of how your life and this story met?

fredmerlin

Re: How did you find the book? Where were you?

Postby fredmerlin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 am

Howdy Steve. And a Happy New Year to you and all...

I first was handed the movie version of Chris McCandless' story from my local librarian. Since then, I've read the book and the Back To The Wild versions, several times. The great irony, for me, was that 1st: the library was my source. This was a place Chris utilized quite a bit, wherever his travels took him. And, 2nd: I didn't realize WHO the movie was based upon, until the very LAST scene, when the real photo of Chris appeared, and the epilogue was given. A chill ran through me, as I realized I had seen the actual National news report in 1992, showing that very picture of Chris sitting next to the bus, asking the country WHO he might be. His identity was still unknown...it may have only been a day or two since he was found. The whole thing just floored me because, I remember so vividly, that picture! Almost 20 years had gone by from the news report, and me seeing the movie! It was pretty wild!

Not sure IF that's what you are asking here...? Guess I told it anyway...Enjoy the day!

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 am

That's awesome Fred and exactly what I was looking for. Everyone has a story of how they first fell onto this story. I love to hear about them. Thank you Fredmerlin. Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

~Steve Salmon

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:09 am

Well,well, Steve....we haven't heard YOUR story here? Did I miss something?

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:08 am

Ahh Fred Im afraid you're a bit late. I wrote a little story about my first hike to the bus a few years ago. The first paragraph or two told the tale of how I found the book. The owner/moderator of this site, Adam, was kind enough to post and feature that story here too. It was up for a while in the beginning. But, I've since asked that it be taken down and have calmed down a great deal. I've also let things develop with this whole experience as they choose to. I've learned quite a bit and have met some amazing people, some of which I call close Friends now. I've argued with lots, have made myself look like an asshole on quite a few occasions, and have even discovered I was way off with some folks in the story as well as some fans of it. I've never considered myself a follower of anything but the driving force and sense of adventure of Chris McCandless. I've mentioned time and time again too, that I find my own story paralleling with Chris' as most do who really understand him.
To be fair since you ask, here's a lil summary for you. I have a good friend named Dennis who handed me the book, now nearly four years ago in fact. He's a pilot for a major airline and on this particular day we were flying on a spontaneous trip to California. Since he knew I was from Alaska and knew I hadn't heard of the story, he brought the book with him on the plane. Just before take off, Dennis came out of the cockpit and handed it to me. Dennis said, "Here I think you'll really like this story. It's a 5 hour flight." Of course I couldn't stop reading and boy did I ever enjoy the story. A few months later I was signing the journal and sitting in Bus 142 after hiking solo for what seemed like days. I got home and my life had changed in a beautiful way. It's an experience I'll always keep close to my heart thanks mainly to one very understanding wife who's always understood my need to Carpe' Diem.
How's that?

~Steve Salmon

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:59 am

Cool...Cool! Yes, I'm sorry to have missed the whole, detailed story. But, I DID gather you had the adventure going to the bus. Thanks for the background. It's a great story!

AND....I'm just noticing, you are exactly 200 posts ahead of me! Yes, I'd say I'm a bit late...

teacherjones

Postby teacherjones » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Hey folks. I saw the movie Into the Wild some years ago. However, I have the opportunity this semester to teach this to my 11th grade English class at Winder-Barrow High School here in Winder, GA. So, the book kind of found me all theses years after seeing the movie. I was originally interested in the movie because in some ways my life paralleled that of McCandless back in the 90's. I was searching for myself, searching for my beliefs, and searching for meaning. Many of the ideas presented in the movie (and the book now) were meaningful at that time of my life. However, I was must more reserved, much more careful, and far less willing to separate from my family and "normal" society. That being said, that is why I am here. Please welcome my students whose usernames' will begin with WBHS.

WbhsPYang

Postby WbhsPYang » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:38 pm

I found this book from in my American Literature class. We were proposed this book and was assigned to read it. The more I read this book the more interesting it got to me. This book was based on a true story which then even made me even more fascinating, and the more fascinating it got to me the more I wanted to keep going on.

Servicenwy

How did you find the book Where were you

Postby Servicenwy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:21 pm

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. I was in floods of tears for the last few pages and knew it had to end the way it did, but still...damn. I love that book.

But Gone with the Wind is the only book Ive ever finished then immediately started again. Honestly. Read the last line and flipped the book back to page one and started all over again.

Hurley

Postby Hurley » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 am

I forget when I ordered the book online. perhaps 3-5 years ago, or longer. I read about it through Jon Krakauer's website on mountaineering, I believe. Or it was when I wanted to kayak to AK and stumbled upon it from Outside magazine. memory serves me badly, sorry. I didn't know there was a movie until last year when I was skimming netflix for something interesting. I always am drawn to history, documentaries or films based on fact. I watched the film again last week and I researched online which lead me to this site.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”