What do you think about Chris going into the wild?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
Wbhscole

Re: What do you think about Chris going into the wild?

Postby Wbhscole » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:23 pm

i thought he was completely insane. i mean who would do that without letting ANYONE know , i just dont get it , was he mentally messed up or just psychotic?! and then he doesnt pack barely any food and clothes . i mean he's heading to Alaska in the winter :shock:

wbhscalvert

Postby wbhscalvert » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:29 pm

I think Chris went into the wild because he wanted to challenge himself. He abandoned his car, burned all his money, and tried to forget about his past life. He was very different than everybody else. Maybe that was a good thing.

WBHSrcook

Postby WBHSrcook » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:37 pm

I feel like he was trying to prove to himself he didn't need all those things to live out and off of the land. I also think he was trying to live the transcendentalist lifestyle that Henry David Thoreau lived and wrote about.

wbhsgilbert

Postby wbhsgilbert » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:42 pm

I think it was very courageous and brave of McCandless to go into the wild, especially being so un-prepared. He definitely could've went about leaving, in a different way. He really should've thought it through and made sure it was this big of a risk. He should've known that it would be a life or death situation. I respect him for burning his money and leaving his car, also. Getting away from the daily responsibilities and being surrounded by a scene that you love sounds amazing. I think that he knew that he could live in the wilderness, until it hit a certain limit of having nothing to eat, drink, and being un-able to walk. It's a tragedy.

Wbhs_BMoore

Postby Wbhs_BMoore » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:32 pm

I think Chris was very brave and courageous in going on that crazy adventure alone with as little as possible, trying to make it out alive! Yeah it was reckless, but he didn't care, that was his main goal in tramping. And he did pretty well up until the end, he managed to survive over 100 days with little to nothing! He lived off the land entirely and the bus of course, but he killed everything that he ate so i would say he did good in going into the wild.

WBHS_Carrere

Postby WBHS_Carrere » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Each one of these replies makes me believe that each and everyone of you have had a normal 21st century life. It's hard for us to imagine the life Chris had. I believe that the only thing gris didn't like in his life was his parents fighting. Chris thought that the only reason his partent's were fighting was because of money and material items. This made Chris hate money and items. The only way to escape the vast ranges of money were to escape to empty plots of land. Chris's adventure to Mexico was probably a test to see how vast and how far he could get without using money. In the end Chris is faced with the reality that life is just a view. Not set in stone.

Mastercaster

Postby Mastercaster » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:02 pm

I think he knows he has made mistakes, for me the sentence "happiness only real when shared" is the time he knows that human aint done yo live alone, he is to share life and happiness with other a and he regrets going alone, whatsapp do you think?

Hurley

Postby Hurley » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 am

I think he was a leader and an inspiration to many. I appreciate his determination and the fact that a book was written about his exploits which have helped me immensely. He will live on for a long, long time.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”