Why give away his money?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
bottleguy

Why give away his money?

Postby bottleguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Why would he burn money and then work for money and not burn it ? To me it seems like a waste of time and money that he reely needed.Also I understand why he burned it but then he still works for money ? I just don't understand.

Wbhs_redneck

Re: Why give away his money?

Postby Wbhs_redneck » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:37 pm

He just wants enough to live off of he didn't burn all he earned

WbhsHaynes

Postby WbhsHaynes » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Chris gave away his money to charity because he was bound to set out on his adventure. He wanted to prove that he did not have to depend on other people to give him stuff that he could go live on his own. He even burned the money that he had in his wallet and started fresh. He did it because he wanted to feel reborn he wanted to live in the presence of nature. Once he achieved his goals he was ready to go home until he became ill.

WbhsPYang

Postby WbhsPYang » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:32 pm

He did this because he wanted a fresh start burning all his money from his past life, then making money in his present life. He burned his money maybe because it's all he had that would burn. Chris wanted to forget all his memory he had of his past life so he can focus on his new one throwing or burning what he had that would bring back memories.

Wbhs_BMoore

Postby Wbhs_BMoore » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:35 pm

he burned his first sum of money because that was also when he abandoned his car and other belongings, it was kind of like the journey really begun there. From that point on he worked to survive in his new adventurous life. So he kept the money he made while out there on his journey. And another thing is that he also realized after abandoning his car and having to walk and scavenge food, that he's gonna need money for starving emergencies. Thats what I think he was doing, saving for emergencies and supplies for his big Alaska trip.

Wbhsbyang

Postby Wbhsbyang » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:37 pm

He wanted to change his life. I do know that he needs some money to keep his journey going. He would not last as long on the road without some supplies, so he took a job. He would also go somewhere to settle down for the winter till spring.
Chris does not enjoy receiving free gifts, he likes working for his money.

WBHSMEEKSretry

Postby WBHSMEEKSretry » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Well after he burned his money what else would he have to burn when it was needed? I believe he worked for the money so he could feel like he wasn't having things gave to him. He took pride in earring the money as well.

WBHSrcook

Postby WBHSrcook » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:48 pm

bottleguy wrote:Why would he burn money and then work for money and not burn it ? To me it seems like a waste of time and money that he reely needed.Also I understand why he burned it but then he still works for money ? I just don't understand.

Maybe he did it to replenish his supplies? I personally do not know the answer. But, I do believe he did it because he enjoyed working hard and being able to earn his own things. In the book Krakauer uses what Chris's parents said as an example. Walt and Billie offered to buy him a new car, and it says that Chris was angry by the offer and refused to accept it. Plus, when he worked at the grain elevator, his employer said he was one of the most hardworking employees he's ever had. Said he would do any job and work hard to get it done no matter what.

wbhsgilbert

Postby wbhsgilbert » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:57 pm

No one knows the real answer. As a guess, he could've done it out of kindness or done it to get rid of it. Either way, he only wanted what was truly necessary for him... even though, he needed more than what he left himself with. He not only gave sit away, he ended up burning some. It just shows that he's a true believer in non-matierlism.

WBHS_Stinson

Postby WBHS_Stinson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:39 pm

His parents, mostly his dad, did some really messed up things when he was growing up. They tried to act like it didn't happen and cover it up by pretending to be number one parents and buy him things. By giving his money away and not accepting things he is in a way showing that money doesn't make life go around, its not going to fix the problems of reality. People are always trying to hide behind money and "things", but that's not what life is about. You can't just pay your way through life, you must fight and learn to survive from doing and experience. Chris didn't want things handed to him he wanted to work for it.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”