Do you think Chris McCandless had a destination after bus?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
'Murica

Do you think Chris McCandless had a destination after bus?

Postby 'Murica » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm

I have a theory that maybe Chris didn't want to stay in Alaska where he soon died. I believe he had another destination that he wanted to reach but was unable. What is your opinion?

Ashbaby424

Re: Do you think Chris McCandless had a destination after bu

Postby Ashbaby424 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 pm

I do not think Chris had a destination after the bus. I think he planned on living there and dying there.

Ashbaby424

Postby Ashbaby424 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 pm

I do not think Chris had a destination after the bus. I think he planned on living there and dying there.

James_kerr

Postby James_kerr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 pm

No. List examples on how your theory might be relevant?

jbrect14

Postby jbrect14 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Well after he would've left the bus I believe he would've wanted to travel the world. After the extended seclusion he would've wanted to experience more natural occurrences across the continent and the world. To do this I believe he would've stowed away on a ship or plane or used his nature skills to make just enough money to travel under the alias Alex.

Kerlin_2

Postby Kerlin_2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 pm

If he had another destination he wouldn't have stayed at the bus for more than a month.

WBHSKMeono

Postby WBHSKMeono » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:21 pm

i think McCandless didn't want to stay on the bus forever and died. i believe he had other destinations after that. The reason why i think this is because the post card that he sent to Wayne, sounds like he was going to come back. He wasn't sure if he would survive the trip, but i felt like he did want to come back to society and settle down. I feel like he wanted to explore in other places, not just Alaska.

WBHShollifield

Postby WBHShollifield » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:21 pm

I think he definitely had a destination after the bus. Do you really think he wanted to live the rest of his life in a bus?! Of course not. He was a rambling man. That was the whole point of his adventure was to not know where was next. He couldn't leave because he ate poisonous potato seeds that took a toll on his body. If he was able to travel further he certainly would have.

WBHSrcook

Postby WBHSrcook » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Kerlin_2 wrote:If he had another destination he wouldn't have stayed at the bus for more than a month.

I feel like he wanted to know what it was like to live off the land in a "secluded" area for a while. I personally don't think a month is long enough it's self to get the full effect. Plus, he was enjoying himself. Why would you leave something you thoroughly enjoy so quickly? I do believe he had another destination. I just don't think he wanted to leave the bus so soon because he enjoyed it.

Wbhscruce

Postby Wbhscruce » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 pm

For a change, I do believe he had a destination after the bus. I believe he was gong to go back home after he stayed in Alaska for awhile. I think he stayed at the bus for so long so he could get the full experience of living in the wild. I think, although he was not fond of his parents, he wanted to go back and reunite with them and his sister. I think he would wanted to apologize for leaving and not telling them where he went. I also think he would have wanted to share his stories of his adventures with his family.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”