Do you think Chris McCandless had a destination after bus?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
wbhscalvert

Re: Do you think Chris McCandless had a destination after bu

Postby wbhscalvert » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I don't think Chris had another destination after the bus. If he did he probably would have left the bus earlier than when he died. he stayed at the bus for a long time, so if he did have a second location that he wanted to go to.. obviously he didn't make it there.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 am

Difficult to say what kind of plans he had. We only know that he had a destination BEFORE the bus, which was to hike on further west, which he did at first after the first few days at the bus. But then he somehow changed his mind and returned to the bus about 3 weeks later and decided to stay there for a while. My impression is that he often changed his plans during the journey - and that was probably also part of the whole philosophy. Like you cannot get lost if you have no destination. ;)
However, I think that the moment he decided not to walk on further west, but to go back to the bus, must have been some crucial point, because that's when he gave up on his idea of living in the real wilderness and decided to choose the "wilderness light" version of living in that bus for a while.

Wbhs_BMoore

Postby Wbhs_BMoore » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:19 pm

I think the same thing. I think that he definetely wants to do something after Alaska. He tried multiple times to settle down from tramping but he never actually did. He stayed for a little bit but then got right back on the road headed somewhere else. I think he thought that this was gonna be his final journey but he wouldve gotten "itchy feet" and have to go on another big adventure. Or maybe he wanted to leave it all behind and start living a "normal" life and start a family...

wbhsgilbert

Postby wbhsgilbert » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:26 pm

I think that he definitely had a destination after the bus. He went into the wild to see if he could really make a living, not only that, but he wanted to get away from all of the daily responsibilities that he had. When he figured out he could, it was to late to go back.. he had possible way to. I really don't think he purposely died there. If he did, he made a big statement.

Subbotaisows

Do you think Chris McCandless had a destination after bus

Postby Subbotaisows » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 pm

19. Have an EPIC new sig
19. See 7-10 people per day that you think look like MYST characters.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”