Chris found the inner peace, we continue to struggle...

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
bhuwanchand

Chris found the inner peace, we continue to struggle...

Postby bhuwanchand » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:38 am

In the epic Indian scripture Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna teaches Arjuna "Arjuna, thinking of whatever entity one leaves the body at the time of death, that and that alone one attains, being ever absorbed in its thoughts."

I am sure Chris was focused on that one thing alone which he searched for throughout his young life. And I am sure he would have found what he was looking for, laying inside the sleeping bag stitched by his mother, alone in the trailer bus among wilderness of Alaska. I am sure his mother & father also got their peace when they saw the place where Chris spent his last few months, all alone, in the wilderness. Starving to death must not be a very pleasant experience, I know people who do all sorts of crimes and face dangerous situations, degrade their life, just to avoid having an empty stomach. But Chris choose this path voluntarily. I think it was easier for us in India to understand and appreciate what he was going through and did with his life. Aren't we all at times tempted to leave everything and head for the secluded mountains and forests in search for inner peace and to find the answers to those hard questions of life, the truth of why we are living.

There is only a couple of years difference between Chris and my age. in early years of 1990's when he was started hitchhiking after his graduation, to find the answers to his inner questions, I too was facing extremely difficult situations and from early childhood the question of finding the ultimate truth of life is the one repeating itself in my mind 24x7. But I could not afford to do what Chris did, I think I lacked the courage that Chris had. I struggled to stand up on my feet, support my mother and my family. I used to think those that that once I get over these priorities I would try and quench my own thirst of knowledge, I would try to find the answers the the questions which haunt me in the wilderness of Himalayas. But then, not everybody is as brave as Chris.

I think Chris would have got his answers, found what he was looking for, in the solitude of that trailer bus in Alaska. And and think for sure that he would have reached his ultimate goal, got his peace within his heart and soul. I am also sure that his mother and father would have got their peace too when they saw the beautiful place where Chris spend his final months. Sleeping inside the bad his mother stitched. He may have died of starvation of body, but I am sure his heart and soul were fully nourished and content with what he achieved in the short duration he spent on this planet earth.

suhailjan5

Re: Chris found the inner peace, we continue to struggle...

Postby suhailjan5 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:36 am

As we begin this series on Seeking the Peace of islam my goal is uncomplicated. I want to grapple with the biblical understanding of peace, as the islam is most peace relegons

Return to “Discussions on the Book”