Notes from the book explained

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
benjelle

Notes from the book explained

Postby benjelle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 am

Dear people,

McCandless noted during his stay at the Magic Bus that he caught grey birds and an ash bird. I would like to know which bird an ash bird could be. Anyone has a clue? Someone else said that the grey birds have possibly been gray jays - could this be correct?

My third question is about McCandless's Manifesto, in which is noted "no pool". Does this mean no pool like pool sport?

Thank you!

fredmerlin

Re: Notes from the book explained

Postby fredmerlin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:00 pm

The song refers to 'pool', as in 'swimming pool'. The lyrics read the drifter is looking to rent a room for '50 cent'. The amenities are: 'no phone, no pool, no pets'. In other words, there's no phone or swimming pool available and no pets allowed. I'm not sure about your 'bird' question. Maybe a search of the native Alaskan birds would help. As you see in the journal pics, the birds are very distinguishable.

My questions are:
Just experienced the book "Back To The Wild". Breathtaking. Chris is a true artist. We can understand him a bit more by these pics.
Questions I have after reading:

1) entry #89; 'DREAM' What is written below? "2--- ---? 1 at the belt, 1 at the foot" And then " Gives----?"

2) To the right of the first column, in a dotted box with arrows pointing up and down; "Days 33-50, ----- -----?"

3) From "DEPART BUS", entry 67 to the end of the journal (Trek 12), huge gap in pics, and documentation, although journal itself has entries for each and every day. Editing choice?

4) Is the "Manifesto" on pg.192 a photo of the actual plywood Chris engraved?

Thanks!
fredmerlin Posts: 32Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 am

by fredmerlin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:27 am

Also, it has been noted that Chris took only one pic of a particular scene. However, his 'last self-portrait' seems to be at least three different pictures. The one with him holding his final goodbye seems to be multiple shots. His hand, and hair and expression are very different in the three seperate pics I have seen. Anyone know the true behind this? The claim that it's one pic?

benjelle

Postby benjelle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:59 am

Dear fredmerlin,

I am not convinced yet. Chris wrote the Manifesto during his stay at the Magic Bus (2 May 1992, I think). How could he think of renting a room while he had no money and he had already found a temporary stay? Besides, after "no pets" the Manifesto says "no cigarettes./Ultimate freedom." Did he really mean pool as in swimming pool?
Pool is one form of civilization, I guess. Then it would be logically for Chris to write "Ultimate freedom". I could be wrong.

About the birds I already got possible answers (via others);
"grey bird" could be "gray jay"
"ash bird" could be "spruce grouse"

I have no answers on your questions, sorry.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am

Here's the lyrics of the song those words refer to:

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/miller-roger/king-of-the-road-1164.html

In the movie they also play this song a bit later. I think I read somewhere that Chris actually liked this song.

benjelle

Postby benjelle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:58 pm

Okay, then it should be right.

Coolwhipped

Postby Coolwhipped » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 pm

He is definitely referring to the Roger Miller classic, King of the Road. A very popular anthem for someone like Chris.

Lost Soul

Postby Lost Soul » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 am

Hi all.

From what I interpret from the lyrics to the song is that a drifter is not bound by amenities, or anythings else in fact. He'll stay anywhere. 50 cent room (crap hotel room), no pool, no TV, no cigarettes, ect. It does not matter, the road is his kingdom. The road was Chris' kingdom, and the bus was his 50 cent room.

I just ordered Back into the wild, so I cant comment on the other questions yet. 8-)

I would have thought there would be more people here. :|

Return to “Discussions on the Book”