Did Chris know where he was?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
Holly G

Did Chris know where he was?

Postby Holly G » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:46 am

My only knowledge of Chris McCandless' story came from Jon Krakauer's book, which I read this summer. But one thing that really surprised me at the end was how Chris apparently did not where he was, map-wise. He apparently didn't even have a map with him.

Towards the end of the book, in Chapter 16, Mr. Krakauer explains that Chris could have walked into Denali, which was only 16 miles to the south; or to George Parks Highway 30 miles to the east. In Chapter 17, he also explains that Chris could have crossed the Teklanika using the basket set up by the US Geological Survey.

Now, of course, Chris maybe wanted to make a point that he didn't even need a map, but did he also feel that he didn't need to situate himself geographically at all?

My strong impression from the very beginning of the book was that he chose Stampede Trail, very specifically.

But when Chris chose the Stampede Trail, didn't he at least study it on the map beforehand? Now, maybe he wouldn't remember every little detail, but how to get to a famous park like Denali or the nearest highway, or even a landmark like a geological station, most hikers would note carefully; esp. if they were worried that maybe the trail wasn't marked too well, and they could get lost.

In Chapter 1, Mr. Krakauer explains that the first part of the Stampede Trail is particularly plentiful in hunting game, as it is surrounded on three sides by the protected acreage of Denali. I just assumed that this fact was why Chris chose to go there.

Also, I assumed that he knew about the bus, too; as if maybe someone had told him about it. Maybe some of his friends that lived on the road.

Just while I was writing this post, it occurred to me that maybe he was terrified of the bears. While I was reading the book, the thought occurred to me that the fear of the bears might explain why he holed up in the bus, rather than going farther on the trail, and camping outdoors. In his weakened state, the 16 miles to Denali may have required a few days, and nights sleeping outdoors; and alone he had no chance against the bears.

Kitz093

Re: Did Chris know where he was?

Postby Kitz093 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Did Chris knew where he was? The thing is.. Chris didn't care where he was at all, all he cared about was he's dream about being into the wild, he didn't care what location he was in.. he just wanted to be out in the open and into the wild without care.

Anewanddifferentsun

Chris had a state of Alaska road map

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:08 pm

and that map included the Stampede Trail, according to the book. According to the Alaska state troopers report, this map was among Chris's possessions turned over to his relatives.
So, Chris knew where he was. His conversation with Jim Gallien revealed as much.

SHS2013Angel

Postby SHS2013Angel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Chris might have known or might not known where he was by the time he had to get out he was weak, tired, starving, and was dieing. Before that when he tried to leave but couldn't because of the river he didn't know where he was. He didn't remember the map probably or something. The cabins around him weren't marked on the map he had and I pretty sure neither was the bucket that ran over the river.

Cashley550

Postby Cashley550 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:24 am

I think Chris didn't want a map so he could leave the outcome up to chance... He said it wasn't an adventure if you knew you were going to survive (paraphrase).. He took items to help him live day to day such as the rifle, sleeping bag, rice etc... But not to guarantee his survival. The lack of map added to the adventure, I get that.

Kerlin_2

Postby Kerlin_2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:39 pm

He knew where he was he probably forgot where some trails where.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”