His journal

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
iggypoprhcp

His journal

Postby iggypoprhcp » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:53 am

What website can we read it at? Or has his family not allowed anyone to see it? Also, is there anymore pictures of him around? I know about that Photobucket group that has many but are there more?

Tacdriver

Re: His journal

Postby Tacdriver » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:37 pm

i been also looking to see if it is posted anywhere or if the family may not have ever released it, but i havent found anything as of yet unfortunately i would love to read his journal

ACEX2

Postby ACEX2 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Do you guys think it might still be in the bus. I know a lot of his personal belongings are still in the bus.

iggypoprhcp

Postby iggypoprhcp » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:33 am

ACEX2 wrote:Do you guys think it might still be in the bus. I know a lot of his personal belongings are still in the bus.

I doubt they would leave something like that on the bus. Someone would steal it.

Magic Bus Girl

Postby Magic Bus Girl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:21 pm

I read somewhere, that his Sister picked up this, his wallet & camera from authorities shortly after his body was found...

Kindred spirits

Postby Kindred spirits » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:50 am

His 'journal' was incoherent and he only began writing random disconnected things when he began to realise that the adventure was becoming all too real and turned into hunger and desperation. Chris wasn't a writer. The SOS sign and message in the bus window was conveniently left out of the movie by Sean Penn. Sean took a lot of 'artistic license' in the movie and was somewhat exploitative in a sense of Chris' life. He was making a film and commenting on youthful exuberance and society, he was not making a film about the real Chris in any way. The two should not be confused.

tammy20

Postby tammy20 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:08 pm

I believe that he did not bring any paper with him to Alaska so he really never kept a journal with him. He would write in the margins of books or what he already wrote. Although i could be wrong. I know for his travels before Alaska he kept a journal

JDM_WB.7

Postby JDM_WB.7 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:04 am

I believe Chris wrote in his journal to keep sane. If you were all alone in the wild, you would need something to keep you occupied too. Just from how long he survived, you can see that he didn't clearly think out his descision to leave everything behind and just up and walk away. He needed something to recolect on if he were to survive. I know if I did something that bold, I would want to remember every second of it. So maybe he used his journal as a survival tool. It was something to keep him going while spending all that time in Alaska. It gave him hope durring dark times so that he might be able to push on so he can share his remarkable "adventures" with the world. He could write in it and show people the writing so that his audiance might see the true meaning of life and why he did what he did. His writings might show people that just because you leave everything and "start new," as chris did, that you can still think clearly and rationally. It would show that you can breakoff from society and learn to adapt and relize that nothing matters but your dreams and will. I believe thats why Alexander Supertramp kept a journal...

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, he wrote a lot in his journal during his 2 years trip through the US, but during the months in the Alaskan wilderness he didn't really keep a journal (he had left his old journal with Wayne), but only wrote down some very short notes per day, often not even full sentences.
Anyway, I don't think there is anything special about keeping a travel journal; a lot of people do so, me as well.

JDM_WB.7

Postby JDM_WB.7 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:05 pm

NL

Hello,
I feel that chris wrote in his journal to show many things. He wanted to show how you can live without the finer things in life. If nobody was around you for miles you would need something to do to keep you from going crazy. When he was bored he would write even when he wasnt he would still write. His journal was almost like a phone for texting. If you i would do something like this and knew i was going to die i would want everyone to know every little thing i did as well. By him writting all of those thing they were able to make a book and a movie as well of his whole adventure.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”