It comes down to materialism

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
Pelicanpaul

It comes down to materialism

Postby Pelicanpaul » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:04 am

I was flying back from Mexico and the plane was delayed a few hours. By the time I landed in sf I had finished the entire book "Into the Wild." What a great read! Modern western society has become so shallow and materialistic. What supertramp was living was a non-materialistic and a truly spiritual one few of us can even conceive of. He was a monk of the road and a very American character in the transcendental tradition which we have lost.

I think it is sad that our collective patience has dwindle to 20 seconds and 255 characters. What Alex Suoertramp had was a lot of patience and an astonishing ability to be alone. the loneliness alone would have done most of us in. We all live our relatively safe, predictable lives. You get out on road with your thumb out and only a few bucks in your pocket and it can be quite a rush, but also potentially very uncomfortable. What is amazing is that he made it so far. I would have thought he would come to his end in Mexico.

In the end, if you do not question your life after reading "into the Wild," you are not really living. Sunsets. Family relationships, especially between father and sons all take on a new perspective. While Alex supertramp may have gone way too far, must of us don't go anywhere in this adventure called life.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”