into the wild in scool classes

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
goombla

into the wild in scool classes

Postby goombla » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Ive heard much about ITW replacing the Catcher in the Rye in many school districts across the US.

Anyone have any infrmation as to what exactly they teach regarding the book?
thats one class i would love to do homework for!
I read catcher last year, so i was sad to hear that they just recently started teaching ITW in my old school.

I find it incredible that a book as freespirited and rebellious as ITW has replaced a classic that has been used by schools for decades. Ofcourse i dont think its a bad thing, just Makes me wonder EXACTLY what is being taught.

Janice

Re: into the wild in scool classes

Postby Janice » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 am

Good question. I am reading the book now because it is the next book my son has to read in his 10th grade class.

pezar

Postby pezar » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:07 pm

I don't trust the school system, to present Chris's story (or any true story) accurately. I read Catcher in the 11th grade, and the whole approach seemed to me, what I can remember of it, was that Holden was misguided and a rebel without a cause who deserved pity. I absolutely HATED literature analysis in high school-it seemed pointless to me, the modernists flagellating themselves over nothing.

Considering how much wasted time we spent analyzing literature in the modernist fashion in HS, I think that some kids were misled into thinking it was an adequate career path. Considering how many of the younger generation are floating around with worthless English Lit degrees, I think that the promise that academics justifies itself has gotten even more pronounced in the 20 years since I graduated.

I wouldn't be surprised if the modernists approach ITW as a modernist would, analyzing it to death. What do you think Chris's intent was with this word or action, how is X symbolic of teenage rebellion (modernists LOVE symbolism, everything in a modernist novel means something else). The obvious message is ignored. In Europe the "academic stars" are picked out early and fast tracked to university, the rest are trained in trades or sales.

In America we insist every kid be an academic star, and everything else is ignored. Want to fix cars or plumbing? Tough shit kid, you DESERVE a history degree, now apply yourself and get into Stanford! GO GO! Chris's own parents did this with their insistence he go to law school. I was reading about a female law school grad who works in a strip joint to pay her student loans. Where was that million dollar corner office? Sorry, kid, but there's too much competition. We've fast tracked millions of kids into a life of irrelevance, and then tell them to "get a job" when they riot over lack of opportunity.

kchavarria

Postby kchavarria » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I agree, on some notes, that the way the school system may portray a book is misleading and ranges far off from the actual meaning. I am currently a high school student and didn't find the views of my classmates very accurate, when talking of Into The Wild. Many spent most of the discussion, badmouthing Chris and speaking of how selfish he was and how horrid it must have been for his family to go through such a tragedy, with him for a son. They went on to speak of how stupid he was and how his arrogance got him absolutely nowhere, just merely dead. I adore Chris, and find him to be an eccentric man that only sought for what he desired and to me, that's the most wonderful thing. My teacher constantly related the idea of college to this book. We're juniors and we'll be headed off to a new environment with new people, and how we are to adapt and do what we find to be amazing. Teachings were mainly based off of our future and what we'll do with it since we'll soon be of age to do what we feel free to do. They also accompany this book with the teaching of Transcendentalism!

Ralphy23

Postby Ralphy23 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Well i think all over the United States this book she be a HAVE TO read when your in 11th grade. Here at my school we read it and part of my test is having to post about this. This book is amazing and it really teaches you a lot about people and them doing in what they believe. This book is one of those books that when you read it, it has some kind of affect on the way you look at life. Same thing with the book To Kill A Mockingbird, this book is on the same level as that one, and it should be read throughout all schools in America, This Book is GREAT.

taylornash

Postby taylornash » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:00 pm

I had to read this book for my school English class. It took me awhile to understand the characters as different distinctive people. I was confused at the beginning because I didn’t quite understand why someone would want to go INTO THE WILD alone, with not a lot of help. Even though the guy that offered him his boots and his map, Chris had a lot of pride in himself to not ask for help when it was offered, which is the lesson I got out of this book. I recommend it to all English classes for highschool at least because it can help them with struggles they may have

Declanpward

Postby Declanpward » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 pm

My class just recently finished reading “Into the Wild” and it was an amazing book and I absolutely loved it. This book needs to be brought to schools everywhere, and needs to be included in all of the high schools curriculums across the world. This book is inspirational and enjoyable, so it can captivate the reader’s minds as it makes them think on a deeper level. Everybody can enjoy this and majority of people can relate to the feelings that Chris Mccandless had going through him when he was younger that led to him decision to go into the wild.

Andrew Morgan

Postby Andrew Morgan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:50 pm

I think into the wild makes a great book for high school aged students to read in class. It definitely brings up topics and subjects that are easily related to by students of this age group. Also, it completely and totally adds to the study on transcendentalism done by high school kids as some of Chris' beliefs clearly follow along with that path. Lastly, it is just an overall great book and really is a entertaining book.

kingdomdayz777

Postby kingdomdayz777 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:57 pm

i doubt they will teach Into The Wild a whole lot; the point of schooling is to keep us slaves and obedient. birth, school, work, death is the plan the Government has for us.

Chris McCandless thought the opposite; freedom duh! :) :D

Rickeyhendric

Postby Rickeyhendric » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:09 am

The Into the Wild lesson plan contains a variety of teaching materials that cater to all learning styles. Inside you'll find 30 Daily Lessons, 20 Fun Activities, 180 Multiple Choice Questions, 60 Short Essay Questions, 20 Essay Questions, Quizzes/Homework Assignments, Tests, and more. The lessons and activities will help students gain an intimate understanding of the text; while the tests and quizzes will help you evaluate how well the students have grasped the material.

http://www.sandfordhighschool.com

Return to “Discussions on the Book”