How Rad Is BACK TO THE WILD?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
freeSpirit

How Rad Is BACK TO THE WILD?

Postby freeSpirit » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 am

is it as good as Into The Wild? (i know its not a literary book like ITW, fyi.. haha)

Magic_Don

Re: How Rad Is BACK TO THE WILD?

Postby Magic_Don » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:39 am

I feel it's a great companion piece. So see the pictures Chris took. The places he visited, the faces he saw brings a whole other side of the story to the masses.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

mangymarmot

Postby mangymarmot » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:07 am

I recently went to his parent’s new book/DVD tour “Back to the Wild”. I didn’t know what to expect but I was disgusted at what I saw and heard. I could only sit through 30 minutes of his father’s slide show. I realized there was a clueless man on stage trying to convince the audience that he understood his dead son through pictures and letters that they had found. The whole production was the exact opposite of what Chris would have wanted, especially, put together by the people that didn’t understand him the most. He ran from these people.

goombla

Postby goombla » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 am

seriously?^

mangymarmot

Postby mangymarmot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 am

No joke.

Moose200x

Postby Moose200x » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:52 pm

I love the book. Reading what Chris wrote in letters and seeing his own pictures was amazing. I could of done without the "interpretations" they included with each picture tho. I hate how they act like they knew what Chris was thinking or feeling.

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 am

Just experienced the book "Back To The Wild". Breathtaking. Chris is a true artist. We can understand him a bit more by these pics.

Questions I have after reading:

1) entry #89; 'DREAM' What is written below? "2--- ---? 1 at the belt, 1 at the foot" And then " Gives----?"

2) To the right of the first column, in a dotted box with arrows pointing up and down; "Days 33-50, ----- -----?"

3) From "DEPART BUS", entry 67 to the end of the journal (Trek 12), huge gap in pics, and documentation, although journal itself has entries for each and every day. Editing choice?

4) Is the "Manifesto" on pg.192 a photo of the actual plywood Chris engraved?

Thanks!

nvrlate4633

Postby nvrlate4633 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:58 pm

I read Back to the Wild in one evening. It involves mostly pictures, places and dates the pictures were presumably taken and what was presumably going on in the picture. To me, it was the missing link to the entire first book. It shows Chris and the excitement on his face and adventure in his soul, something that can't be captured in words. The look on his face as never described before in writing was awesome. He appeared to be happy in the elements he was in. He was doing what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it, and with whom he wanted to do it. Jon Krakauer did a great job of bringing Chris' personality to life in the first book. Back to the Wild just reinforced Chris' excitement and thirst for adventure. He was a survivalist more days in his environment than anyone I know who might travel the same path as Chris. Back to the Wild was captivating when I picked it up for the first time and hard to put down until I finished it. It's definitely a MUST READ/SEE book if you were a follower of Chris' travels as demonstrated in his first book and movie. This book is a compliment to Into the Wild. After reading both books and watching the movie, I felt as if I were a friend of Chris, and he personally was telling me about his adventures. Not many books can make me feel like this. This book is a two thumbs up!!! AAAA+++

nvrlate4633

Postby nvrlate4633 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm

I read Back to the Wild in one evening. It involves mostly pictures, places and dates the pictures were presumably taken and what was presumably going on in the picture. To me, it was the missing link to the entire first book. It shows Chris and the excitement on his face and adventure in his soul, something that can't be captured in words. The look on his face as never described before in writing was awesome. He appeared to be happy in the elements he was in. He was doing what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it, and with whom he wanted to do it. Jon Krakauer did a great job of bringing Chris' personality to life in the first book. Back to the Wild just reinforced Chris' excitement and thirst for adventure. He was a survivalist more days in his environment than anyone I know who might travel the same path as Chris. Back to the Wild was captivating when I picked it up for the first time and hard to put down until I finished it. It's definitely a MUST READ/SEE book if you were a follower of Chris' travels as demonstrated in his first book and movie. This book is a compliment to Into the Wild. After reading both books and watching the movie, I felt as if I were a friend of Chris, and he personally was telling me about his adventures. Not many books can make me feel like this. This book is a two thumbs up!!! AAAA+++

Return to “Discussions on the Book”