how did reading this alter your existence?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
JesusIsLove777

how did reading this alter your existence?

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:59 am

after reading it, how did this, for good or bad, change your outlook on your own life and what you hope to achieve?

goombla

Re: how did reading this alter your existence?

Postby goombla » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 am

Since I watched the movie years before I read the book, the movie had a bit more profound effect. It simply made me beleice that it was possible! When I found out it was a true story I was dedicated to sound what he did.

Reading the book i suppose have me a better understanding of his life, and better understanding of why he did what he did.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:15 pm

I will refer you to my "rant" posts in the book area here. I've completely changed my thoughts, thinking, mindset, etc in the last couple years.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:51 pm

What a great question! I realized I was not the only person wanting to reject this sick society. I had read about people like Chris before but our lovely media would make them look like no intelligence doucebag nuts and I was still too naive at the time to look beyond the media report. I bought the (ITW) book after I saw the movie. I was so excited that there were people like me who knew something was wrong in our society. My path started in 1995 when I realized as a Citibank employee that I had better company benefits working as a stockboy at a grocery store in 1982. How was this possible in "Great America" when I had worked so hard not to be stuck in the grocery business?

The book has changed my original plan of farming my mountain property. I still want to farm but more of a fruit and nut tree concept so I dont have to be there constantly tending to it in the summer. This will give me more time to wander and experience new places, things, and people. The book has taken me in directions I never expected like this forum. I also look at so called "bums" or 'Vagabonds" differently. I now judge a person by their demeanor not by their clothes.

freeSpirit

Postby freeSpirit » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:43 am

very well said brother! i agree totally with what you said, that it is who you are that defines a person, not what you look like/or what you own.

awesome! :)

laurencawdell

Postby laurencawdell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:01 am

I saw the film first, and even the film had an amazing impact on me. I remember when i was in year 10 in 2008 and the people in the year above me were actually reading Into The Wild. I was fascinated by the cover, and now in 2011 I actually watched the film. The reason I found it so wonderful is because of Chris's spirit & his determination to live his dream. I felt like I could also relate to Chris in some way- his opinion on society, money, people. I decided to read the book and it gave me more insight into who chris was. Chris definitely inspired me to be who i am and has also inspired me to make the most of life before I die. I think we all can relate to Chris in some way, so watching this film & reading his book all make us realize we aren't alone. I wish Chris had of survived, but if he had, we wouldn't know of him, and i am so very grateful that I know his story. :)

DGumby

Postby DGumby » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 pm

I think that what Chris has done has affected many people around the world, including me. I think everyone often thinks about getting away for a while and having a time where they can spend time alone and find themselves, It could be different for everyone in how much time they spent and where they went. Chris is one person who took his chances and believed he could find himself through going into the wilderness. Ive learned that you can find yourself and I believe Chis did, he just didn't make it out. I mainly learned from Chris to forgive with my own family and not to take everything they offer as a way to bribe or control me. Chris is a role model through what we can learn from him.

PiperKyle

Postby PiperKyle » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:40 pm

After reading the book, I found that I had more confidence in being an adult. College is just around the corner for me, so I need to be an individual and be able to fend for myself. This book helped me grow in ways that a talk from my parents could not. College can be a scary thing, and I am worried that things will go wrong. Chris's story helped me to know that I can go to college and succeed and it is okay if I need to go away for a little bit. If I am not happy, then I can always go away to gather myself. I just need to be sure to tell my parents, and bring a map!

katiehudgens2013

Postby katiehudgens2013 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:45 pm

well since i saw the film first before reading the book, i already knew what happened to Chris. but reading the book i was able to learn more about him and that helped me get a better understanding of him. this book altered my existence by just thinking about my life more and what i want to do with it and how i kind of want to change some things. it also made me want to talk to my brother more often than i already do because i knew if my brother didn't talk to me for a long time and then he turned up dead my world would end. my brother is my life. i just can't imagine how Carine feels, even today.

lshanaa

Postby lshanaa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:49 pm

After reading the book, i really felt connected to Chris in some ways. Being in high school sometimes i do just wish i can get up and leave some days; at the same time though, i don't think i'd have the heart to just leave my parents like he did. If i ever did that i think i would have done things a little differently: i would bring a map for instance and i would have done some research on the area that i was going to hike on. The book was inspiring but I'm still undecided if i agree with Chris and his beliefs.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”