The Beautiful Story of Christopher McCandless book

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
ladyandtramp

The Beautiful Story of Christopher McCandless book

Postby ladyandtramp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:09 am

"The Beautiful Story of Christopher McCandless and the Unauthorized Look at the Motion Picture Into the Wild" by Dakota Stevens.

Does anyone know anything about this book? It came up as a book recommendation on Amazon. Never heard of it. Is it worth the while?

erikhalfacre

Re: The Beautiful Story of Christopher McCandless book

Postby erikhalfacre » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

If you read the second paragraph of the product description:

Project Webster represents a new publishing paradigm, allowing disparate content sources to be curated into cohesive, relevant, and informative books. To date, this content has been curated from Wikipedia articles and images under Creative Commons licensing, although as Project Webster continues to increase in scope and dimension, more licensed and public domain content is being added. We believe books such as this represent a new and exciting lexicon in the sharing of human knowledge.

Basically it's saying they took information you could easily google, bound it together and are selling it because they found a market that's hungry for information and they think they can sell it in book form. If you look at this seller's other listings the range of content/topics is suuuuper vast but they all have very similar covers / listing format. It looks like some kind of a mill setup, if it's not actually entirely automated. I could be wrong but that's my impression./

Has anyone here actually purchased the book?
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

ladyandtramp

Postby ladyandtramp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:19 am

erikhalfacre wrote:Basically it's saying they took information you could easily google, bound it together and are selling it because they found a market that's hungry for information and they think they can sell it in book form. If you look at this seller's other listings the range of content/topics is suuuuper vast but they all have very similar covers / listing format. It looks like some kind of a mill setup, if it's not actually entirely automated. I could be wrong but that's my impression./

Yes, the feeling I got was that they just put something together because there is a market out there and they can make money out of it. But still, I wanted to ask, just to be sure! :)

LDama

Postby LDama » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 pm

I honestly dont think the story of Chris McCandless is beautiful. Sometimes when he expresses the happiness and the great experience he is going through may seem lovely, but the way he suffers is horrible and the ending ruins the beauty of it. McCandless went out to enjoy his life and experience his beauty of nature, but to some people those experiences arent as beautiful to us then to him. McCandless was very strong and determined to go through this travel and he made the experience he wanted to be and thats all that matter. From his perceptive it may been beautiful but from mine the story wasnt.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”