The new Book

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
solovoyager

Re: The new Book

Postby solovoyager » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Yes! I purchased my copy this morning off Amazon.com. I am really looking forward to reading it. It's kind of unusual the way the Amazon page is set up to sell the Back To The Wild book. One must click on "these sellers" or "see all buying options" or "1 new from $24.99" to purchase it.

I wish the McCandless family the best success in the Memorial Foundation set up in Chris' name. As someone who lost a 19 year old sibling (my sister) to tragic, almost unbelieveable circumstances - I know what such a loss does to a family, and admire the good the McCandlesses are trying to do. Also as someone who has been inspired by Chris, I am much looking forward to reading his actual words and seeing the pictures he took - and am greatful to his parents for that opportunity.

-Rich

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am

Does anyone know when the DVD will be available as well? I'll probably wait and order the 2 at a time.
Really looking forward to it. :D

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:16 am

According to the backtothewild.org website, the DVD will be available to purchase in early July.

vergeetmenietje

Postby vergeetmenietje » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Does anyone know whether we'll be able to get it on amazon.co.uk? I can't wait to order it, but shipping it all the way from the States is going to be a bit expensive (if it's even possible to get it to Europe...)
If someone could help me with that question, that would be great. :)

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 pm

@vergeetmenietje

I saw on the Facebook group for the book that there are currently no plans to have it on Amazon.uk. Since it's being sold as a third party seller by the CJM Foundation instead of directly through Amazon, the CJM Foundation would have to ship the books to the UK and then they could be sold, but the price would end up being jacked up to cover the shipping cost. So, for right now the only way to get it is through Amazon.com.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 am

solovoyager wrote:According to the backtothewild.org website, the DVD will be available to purchase in early July.

Thanks. That's quite soon, so I'll probably wait (hoping that the DVD won't take about a year longer than promised as well ;) )

I just saw that on amazon there's no page number indicated for the book. I couldn't find any information about in on the book's website either.

Can anyone help?

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:05 pm

my book still hasnt came yet and its been like 5 days since i ordered it. Im really impatient so could someone who has theres like post just one picture of chris thats in the book? just to hold me over until mine comes.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 pm

I got my copy of BACK TO THE WILD in the mail today! Am really excited. Am heading out to my screened-in front porch to sit and start perusing and reading it. I say excited and yet with anything Chris-related, there is a sadness too, knowing how things ended for him, that he is not here with us today living his deeply felt, passionate life. And especially knowing the pictures in the book are the pictures he actually took himself, and that he is in so many of them.

Someone asked how many pages there are in BACK TO THE WILD. There are 241 pages.
Someone also asked to post a picture or 2 from the new book but I'm sorry to say I am unable to do that. I hope your copy arrives soon.

vergeetmenietje

Postby vergeetmenietje » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:32 am

erikhalfacre wrote:@vergeetmenietje

I saw on the Facebook group for the book that there are currently no plans to have it on Amazon.uk. Since it's being sold as a third party seller by the CJM Foundation instead of directly through Amazon, the CJM Foundation would have to ship the books to the UK and then they could be sold, but the price would end up being jacked up to cover the shipping cost. So, for right now the only way to get it is through Amazon.com.

Thank you for letting me know! (I don't have a Facebook account, so I didn't know where to ask...)
I'll just have to beg my dad to get it on Amazon.com... I really can't wait to get it.

Thanks again.
Last edited by vergeetmenietje on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:55 am

I saw a couple of reviews on Amazon criticizing the captioning of the photos Chris took that are in the "Back To The Wild" book. They feel it wrong that the writer(s) of Back To The Wild tried to "get into Chris's head" by saying what he may have been thinking, that it somehow cheapens the photos......

I have the new book and while I have only perused it and not thoroughly read it yet, I don't have a problem with it. And I think one can view the pictures Chris took and think for one's self and make your own conclusions as to what he was thinking or experiencing.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”