Have You Been Able To Find Books As Good as This??

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
Ger87

Re: Have You Been Able To Find Books As Good as This??

Postby Ger87 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 am

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is a fantastic book. Its substantially longer and a little off what "supertramp" done. Instead of setting out on his adventure ,Shantaram is forced to go on his after escaping from the Australian prison system. He makes his way to India where he becomes a slum doctor. Its a great read and you dont feel the pages turning. Check it out

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:47 am

I enjoyed reading Gary Paulsen's fictional "Hatchet" series of books as well - even though I didn't read them until I was an adult.

I much enjoyed reading Everett Ruess' (a chapter was written about him in "Into the Wild") letters and journals - in "A Vagabond for Beauty" and "The Wilderness Journals of Everett Ruess". Ruess, though young, wrote so well of the impact nature, great vistas and of being deep in wilderness had on him. He just takes you out there with him, around his campfire late at nite. He describes things so well.

Kind of a different book I would also recommend would be the novel "Z for Zachariah" by Robert C. O'Brien. It's about a 15 year old girl who wakes up one day to find she may be the last person alive on earth. Why do I recommend it? Because it goes into how she must use her wits to survive, feeding herself off the food she can grow, keeping her head about her.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Another few books I just thought of:

A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins
http://tinyurl.com/3u6ngyz

The Walk West by Peter Jenkins
http://tinyurl.com/453wlxx

Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon
http://tinyurl.com/6g7tngw
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:34 am

I read both "A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins and "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat-Moon and enjoyed them both.

This topic has got my mind percolating a little. I just remembered a book I enjoyed about 6-7 years ago called "The Kindness of Strangers: Penniless Across America" by Mike McIntyre. It was a true account of the author's hitchhiking trip across America, doing so without any money, counting on strangers to give him food, shelter - and if not, he had a tent he'd set up. It was really good, I recommend it.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Just remembered a book I read some years ago: Even though it doesn't seem to be a true story, I found it quite impressing. It's about a mother who leaves her family and moves into a simple hut in the Canadian wilderness: "Abra" by Joan Barfoot.

http://www.amazon.com/Abra-novel-Joan-Barfoot/dp/0070827400

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:03 am

Another book I enjoyed about 10 years ago was the true account of an American who rode his bike across the entire continent of Africa south to north, from Cape Town, South Africa to Cairo, Egypt. He had a lot of interaction with the locals along the way, slept in a tent and faced a lot of danger if I recall correctly. Quite the adventure. It was called "From Cape to Cairo: An African Odyssey" by David Ewing Duncan.

Sorry - feel like I'm monopolizing this topic of late. ;)

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:26 am

A really good one is the Book about Aron Ralston. Its called Between a Rock and a Hard Place. the book is about how in 2003 he was hiking in utah and he got his arm caught between a rock and a canyon wall and how he had to cut his arm off to save himself

ladyandtramp

Postby ladyandtramp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:59 am

madmaxx1221 wrote:A really good one is the Book about Aron Ralston. Its called Between a Rock and a Hard Place. the book is about how in 2003 he was hiking in utah and he got his arm caught between a rock and a canyon wall and how he had to cut his arm off to save himself

I really loved that movie! Haven't read the book though.

ladyandtramp

Postby ladyandtramp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 am

Personally, I like George Orwell a lot. "Down and Out in Paris and London" is one of my favourites. It's about tramping, although not by choice. Interesting none the less! A classic.

austinj7

Postby austinj7 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Finding books as good as this is rare. In my opinion, it's rare because Chris McCandless relates his needs to everyone else's. Jon Krakauer explains how Chris goes through the wild and survives for four months. You must have certain training and the right materials. For example: A map and a compass will increase your rate of survival. Into the Wild is based on the qualities of Transcendentalism and how it relates to nature.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”