Have You Been Able To Find Books As Good as This??

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
JesusIsLove777

Have You Been Able To Find Books As Good as This??

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:43 pm

this book is remarkable and it seems super duper hard to find books with such description and eloquence to it... as well as the fascinating content... even john krakauers other books suck compared to this in my opinion. This just draws you in and you follow in Chris' footsteps. BY the end of it you come to know chris in a way. :) love it... have you found anything similar to ITW??

erikhalfacre

Re: Have You Been Able To Find Books As Good as This??

Postby erikhalfacre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Though fictional, and a little more elementary, I seem to remember really enjoying reading 'Hatchet' by Gary Paulsen. http://tinyurl.com/65wlj4a Of course I was in 4th grade at the time so it was probably more impressive then. I should re-read that book.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:55 pm

hmm thanks bro! i shall check it out! ive heard of it but never looked into it.. ive heard the beach is also good but that takes place in england i think.. but yeah thanks! :)

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Hey, I would suggest reading the books on the people Krakauer used to compare Chris to like Everett Ruess, John Waterman. I also read trail journals from people hiking the appalachian trail (they started in march). I would also like to find a more modern account of someone like Chris (and the rest of us).

jlawson

Postby jlawson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:33 pm

I think with this story being so emotionally raw and also its time period makes it such a great book for so many people to connect with! a truly one of a kind in many respects! a gift to us all.

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I think I have found a person similar to Chris that is thriving. His name is Cody Lundin. This guy seems like the real deal. He lives off the grid and has a survival training school in Arizona. He is very accomplished and may be wealthy but you would never know it. Please check him out (google or yahoo). I am struggling to find anything but a decent man. He has spent most of his life living the way that Chris had envisioned forhimself and the rest of us. Thanks

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Wed May 18, 2011 2:32 am

erikhalfacre wrote:Though fictional, and a little more elementary, I seem to remember really enjoying reading 'Hatchet' by Gary Paulsen. Of course I was in 4th grade at the time so it was probably more impressive then. I should re-read that book.

i loved that book in school. actually picked it up a few years ago for a re-read. found out it was followed up with 3 or 4 other books featuring the main kid in "Hatchet".
though not as good as the original story, they were still pretty decent.

pezar

Postby pezar » Thu May 19, 2011 1:08 am

Having spent time among the "survivalist" community, I can testify that most of them are goofballs. They have a tiny veggie garden and a few chickens and some stored food-and 12 AK47's and a million rounds of ammo to "protect" it all from FEMA confiscation. A lot of them hoard gold for the day when the US Dollar is abandoned and people are forced to use gold and silver for everyday transactions, at which point they'll all be RICH! Many plan on using ammo for currency. Of course they're more than willing to blow away anyone who might ask them for any of it.

Read some of the stuff by James Rawles and other survivalist gurus, they all hark back to a guy named Mel Tappan. Enter that name into wikipedia and you'll see where most of these loonies get their blueprints. Tappan married into the Mack Truck fortune and promptly spent it all on survival fantasies. He slipped on a piece of glass at his "retreat", and contracted a blood infection, becoming extremely obese before dying.

The original survivalists, of course, were in the US Civil Defense Administration, a shell agency set up to reassure the American public that there was a plan to help them in the event of nuclear war. As nukes advanced in capability, the brass eventually realized that the likelihood of large numbers of survivors was very low, and CD was abandoned.

Much of Tappan's stuff focuses on how to survive a nuclear war. Everybody wrote from his material, which was never updated for the end of the Cold War and the shift to asymmetric warfare (terrorism). In asymmetric warfare, the likelihood of all of America being destroyed is low. We'll lose a few cities, but cities are no place to be anyway. In short, Chris was more of a survivalist than most of the freaks who claim it.

Lao Tzu

Postby Lao Tzu » Fri May 20, 2011 8:37 am

For a first person account of living the same type of vagabond lifestyle as lived by Chris, I would recommend "Rolling Nowhere" by Ted Conover. It is occurs at about the same time as Chris was on his journey.

http://www.tedconover.com/book-rolling-nowhere/

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Pezar, you are absolutely correct about "survivalists" but there is another community of people who teach how to live off of the land be it in an emergency or by choice. These people seem more like 'hippies". They are into nature so they are not into gold or severe weapontry. I have found people who teach these skills. Cody Lundin is probably the most famous of these individuals. His expertise is teaching people the skills to survive natural disasters or being lost in the woods. There are many other people on the east and west coast that teach these skills that I have found since my last post. When I decide to go to one of these survival schools you can bet that if someone wips out an AK-47 or tells me to convert my cash to gold I will "head for zee hills (mountains)". :D

Return to “Discussions on the Book”