The life style he chose

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
hunterman2011

The life style he chose

Postby hunterman2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Summary

It takes alot for someone to leave everything that they would have in a normal life, and being that McCandless's parents gave him everything he could of ever wanted, he still chose to leave it all behind. He graduated from Emory University, with twenty five thousand dollars in his hands, and he chose to give it all to charity. But the question was why? Everyone that he came in contact with did not have such a impact on him for him to stop his journey on to coverering more of the Alaskan lands. McCandless lived on a bus with nothing more than basic supplies, he kept his diary close to him on the other hand.

Why I think he left normalized civilization
Cause he wanted to see how life would be if nothing was given to him, and he had to fend for himself in order to make it in life.

I am still in the process of reading Into the Wild, but from this point I am looking forward to finishing it actually.

jk.

JesusIsLove777

Re: The life style he chose

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:27 am

hope you enjoyed it!! :D

Lao Tzu

Postby Lao Tzu » Fri May 20, 2011 8:28 am

It takes alot for someone to leave everything that they would have in a normal life

There is no such thing as a normal life.

That the majority of people living in Western Countries pursue Materialistic goals does not mean they are leading "a normal life." It is just the most socially accepted route to take, Most people never question why they live the way they do. Chris did.

We are all on a journey.

Chris journeyed his way.

magnet48

Postby magnet48 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:40 am

I think that's the significant thing for me: his choice to live in the center of nowhere, by himself.I have been so blown away by both book&movie.And I'm a 62-year-old woman.Chris's spirit & story have impacted me & I have to say, have actually changed my life. I don't live in a bus or even camp---I mean my interior life: his story has changed my heart,toward myself as well as toward others.
I would like to imagine that the necessary hero comes along for a particular group of people,or at a particular point in time.Chris is that person for me. My youngest son was the person who obsessively insisted I watch the movie on TV. When I finally did I was just so moved that my son loved this story so much,at a time when,in his own life, he was devastated by the recent untimely death of his father.(I honestly think it gave him a reason to cry). As I grew to comprehend Chris's spirit, I realized that the mission was not a failure but rather another life lesson: that one can always learn, even while dying.
This son, who is only 31, has a condition called Wernecke-Karsakov, from extreme alcohol abuse.It is fatal unless he stops drinking, then it's extremely detrimental to his well-being. He refuses to stop drinking. He has cut back.But given the limitations this has placed on his life, he is now more joyful than I can ever recall him being.
I truly believe that Chris's soul has reached out to those people, me & my son among them, who needed strength to face dark times in their lives, and I thank the McCandless family for their decision to put out this new book.It, like Chris himself, is the answer to a prayer for me.

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:26 am

that is very great Magnet48.. i pray ur son remains alcohol and drug free!!

Jesus bless ur family :)

azad_yousafzai

Postby azad_yousafzai » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm

this is great hope you enjoyed
i am 26 and here to spend my spare time in useful activities

conner95

Postby conner95 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:25 pm

hunterman2011 wrote:Summary

It takes alot for someone to leave everything that they would have in a normal life, and being that McCandless's parents gave him everything he could of ever wanted, he still chose to leave it all behind.

Up to this point I agree with you. When you say he wanted to see what it was like to live out on his own, we have our differences. Through the book I learned that besides just being a test for himself, the expedition was to get away from everything. As far as i can tell, he just hates society and wanted to get away, a feeling i'm sure we all have. As far as everything being handed to him, I dont think that was necessarily the problem, people just wanted things for him that he did not want.

LDama

Postby LDama » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 pm

The lifestyle he chose I wouldnt not want to be in. The outdoors and the lifestyle in the nature and woods is not my favorite or top things to do. Chris was very brave and had the determination to do it. He became very prepared in the beginning before he went out into the wilderness. I honestly could not survive at least 3 days in the wilderness. The weather would be really cold in the winter and I would get bored really fast. The food would also be one of my main problems. I am a picky eater and eating things like that would not be in my interest.

taylornash

Postby taylornash » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 pm

The life style Chris chose should make everyone he knew proud. He did something so out of the norm, like what society thinks is weird, and just did it to get a different perspective on life. It opened some doors to thoughts that he had. Living on his own was so peaceful I think and that’s why I would never want to leave ( if I had a never ending supply of real food). I don’t think anyone now would drop everything and go into the wild, not weighing the cons and pros. Its an eye opener and people who have deep soul searching should consider doing it in the wild

sambankson

Postby sambankson » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:39 pm

I think that the lifestyle he chose was admirable. Some of the choices he made weren't so smart. I like the fact that he had the courage to just leave because his guts told him too. The other night I was outside walking and thought how awesome it would be to run away and start all over. I had an impulse to just start running until I couldn't run anymore and then worry about where I would stay, etc. It's an intense feeling of wanderlust, which everyone is effected by. He just decided to act on it.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”