Where's Carine?

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
SteveSalmon

Re: Where's Carine?

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:04 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:04 pm

@Anewanddifferentsun-
You're not being one of those TMZ people are you? You know, the ones that claim to know how every celebrity is "feeling" even though they dont even know them personally?
How do you know Carine and her siblings weren't asked to be a part of the website? And by "website" do you mean this one we are carrying this conversation on or do you mean the website involved with the new book/Dvd? What if they were asked to be a part of it but couldn't commit to it, due to say, scheduling conflicts? From what I understand, Carine and her husband run an Auto business, and from what I've read, Carine is also involved with the Asissi House charity. This I learned from a small amount of internet research.
So anyway, exactly what should be considered? Im lost. Should JK and SP's "previous comments" be considered incorrect? Are you suggesting they (Chris and Carine) weren't, in fact, as close as was portrayed in the book and movie? Take some time and explain this to me, Im very interested.[/quote]

Allow me to clarify: Carine and her siblings were never asked to be part of "the team" producing the new book/dvd and this website promoting it. Why weren't they asked, especially when considering Krakauer's and Penn's previous comments that Carine knew Chris better than anyone else did (my previous post supports this rather than questions it)? What many here may not know is that Carine continues to tell her and her brother's story. She has contracted with Random House speakers bureau to speak at colleges and universities about Into the Wild. This endeavor includes a number of related promotional efforts, including CarineMcCandless.com, a site being developed, a page on Random House's site, and a Youtube page, which includes her appearance on Oprah with Krakauer, Hirsch, Penn, and her siblings from Walt's first marriage. On the "Carine" Oprah segment, you will see a new photo - the one Krakauer alludes to in his book in which Chris holds up a yellow razor after shaving before departing the bus in early July. You will see just how thin he was two months into his Alaskan adventure and about a month and a half before he died. The photo supports Ron Lamothe's contention that Chris' BMI was dropping like a rock. However, you also will notice the absolute joy on his face.
As to my direct sources, I will not disclose them here. I assure you I am not a TMZ crackpot. I will say I admire Chris' parents for allowing Sean Penn to show the world the uglier side of his upbringing and how that was a big factor in his disappearance, and I understand their need to focus on the more positive aspects of their parenting (the "early years" photos on this site), but Penn could have revealed much more than he did, although he went much further than Krakauer did in his book, which all but ignores the issue of domestic violence and child abuse.
I hope this helps clarify my previous post.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:54 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:11 am

SteveSalmon wrote:Thank you for the clarification. I checked out the things you mentioned including the YouTube vids. It was great to see Carine speak. I dont think I will ever forget what she said about her brother. It was amazing, so much so, she floored Oprah Winfrey with her words.
Hey, there's, no doubt, more to the story, and you're 100% right, they (Carine and siblings) seem to be missing from a lot more than I realized.

Carine is a remarkably intelligent and courageous person. If she could 'floor" Oprah, you can imagine why and how Chris affected so many in his two-year journey. I share much with both of them, and it is why I am here.
As for Carine's connection with her brother, I submit the following quote from Jon Krakauer, as shown on the Random House site:
"Carine knows vastly more about what made Chris tick than anyone I've spoken to, and is the only one who seems to understand what motivated him to hitchhike to Alaska and walk alone into the wilderness. Carine's contributions both to my book and Sean's film were huge. For the first two decades of Carine's life, Chris had been her soul mate and confidant. A gifted communicator, she is engaging, inspiring, and bracingly outspoken. Without a question, nobody on earth is more qualified to talk about Chris McCandless than Carine McCandless, the little sister he so adored."
Jon Krakauer
author of Into the Wild
Last edited by Anewanddifferentsun on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:39 am

SteveSalmon wrote: I checked out the things you mentioned including the YouTube vids.

Sounds interesting. Do you have the links?

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/carinemccandless

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks a lot.
And thank you also for the further information.

One question however:

Anewanddifferentsun wrote: Carine and her siblings were never asked to be part of "the team" producing the new book/dvd

Never asked by whom? I mean, who decided about that team? The parents? Or someone else?

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:17 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:11 pm

SteveSalmon wrote:Anyway, In regard to whom never asked, I would venture to guess Chris' parents were in charge of assembly of "the team"?
They head up the charity behind all of this, right? Seems to me like they forgot to ask at least one very important contributor.

That was my impression as well, but who knows, perhaps we missed a detail about the organisation.

SteveSalmon wrote:Hence, my original question.

Or almost. Carine could also have been the one who refused to participate for whatever reason. At least, now we learned a bit more about it.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Discussions on the Book”