Wayne Westerberg

There is a new book by Carine called The Wild Truth. There will be, no doubt, a lot of talk about this book and its contents, so thought I would create a new category for it.
MalkheBehr

Wayne Westerberg

Postby MalkheBehr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:05 pm

I continue to be disturbed by the great admiration Chris/Alex showed for Wayne Westerberg despite being a unabashed perpetrator of domestic violence. I can see Chris/Alex dismissing Wayne's "criminal" activities and being indulgent of his alcoholic escapades, but seriously - bashing Gail around? My biggest disappointment in Carine's book was her not addressing this issue, especially after describing Wayne's behaviour during their visit. Thoughts? Insights?

erikhalfacre

Re: Wayne Westerberg

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:41 am

Your use of the term "unabashed" makes me curious. Do you know Wayne personally or have any evidence of his abusive behavior beyond Carine's book? To be clear, I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if you know more of the story.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:13 pm

MalkheBehr wrote:but seriously - bashing Gail around? My biggest disappointment in Carine's book was her not addressing this issue, especially after describing Wayne's behaviour during their visit.

What exactly do you mean by "not adressing this issue"? I had never heard anything about Wayne's violence against Gail before reading the scene in Carine's book. She described what she saw and wrote that she wondered whether Chris had witnessed this kind of violence as well, and she worried that he might have. I think she wrote enough about this issue, and in the end, as far as I know, she still doesn't know whether anything similar happened in Chris' presence.

marcym

Postby marcym » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi all,

Well, maybe Wayne is not perfect and sometimes was rude with his fiancée and this is not good at all, :? but with Chris he was like an angel, I mean was not an obligation for him to host Chris, to give him a job, a safe place to stay, a chance to take a rest for a while earning money etc...but he was so courteous to do it...he understood Chris better than his family did, so I can definetely put myself in Chris shoes, and does not seem strange to me, at all, that he did not want judge Wayne and so 'addressing the issue' as someone wrote.

Maybe Chris thought something like this:"Who am I to blame a person who did and does so much for me, without having any advantage, only for his natural attitude in helping others?"...Wayne is a human, is not perfect but even if with some faulties, he is a great man under other aspects (Chris said and wrote so many times). Chris admired Wayne, was grateful for all the help he gave to him, for the happy moments spent together, the job, the money, the sincere friendship that last even now, even if they were not long term friends he was available to talk about their frienship, to meet the family, and many other things...thus Wayne is a nice person, he must be a good one, it is quite clear to almost everybody, I am sure about it, for this Chris felt so close to him and enjoyed his companionship.

Maybe Wayne was not nice with Gail that night or perhaps in more other occasions, I hope no! And as a woman I am truly sorry for Gail, as of course Carine was, so I partially understand Carine's feelings, but considering what Wayne did for Chris, I am not sure he is a bad man, violent and rude...maybe the night that Carine wrote about in her book, he was drunk, and particularly emotional for the situation is not a good reason for bullying some one, but why we have always to see the bad things? Wayne makes mistakes like everybody does, and anyway we are all here for Chris not for blaming who gave him probably the biggest present ever: a bit of happiness before to pass away...think about it.

M.

marco

Postby marco » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:41 am

maybe Chris dind't know anything about Wayne who used to make violence on Gail, anyway in the pics of Chirs in Carthage he looks like he is very happy, and never been so happy in his life.

second maybe Chris was used to see his father being aggressive with his mother, so maybe he was quite used to thast and dind0't taken too much attention

marcym

Postby marcym » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi,

Marco I don't think so...I mean Chris did not like at all when his father was aggressive with his mother, he never got used on that...have you read the book? If not please do it, also in Carine's book this point is absolutely clear. For him was important the respect toward others, he was sensitive and attentive a person who cares about others.

The point is that maybe what Carine wrote in her book about Wayne it's not necessarily something usual but maybe just an episode.

M.

hopper

Postby hopper » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 pm

I find it interesting that Chris excluded carin out of his life also. He never mentions her in anything. Yet she claims they were soul mates. She claims abuse a lot.her parents. Wayne westerberg. She was married 3 times blames divorces on her parents.she seems to be a spoiled me me me woman. I think she had to inject herself into her brothers story. She probably drove Chris nuts being a spoiled brat and when things don't go her way she cries abuse excuse to get attention.

KalisaSen

Wayne Westerberg

Postby KalisaSen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 am

Oh cool That place used to be "The Golf Dome" back in the day. Man, I wish they had a cabinet back when I lived in Fort Wayne because that place is a lot closer to where I lived.

la99

Postby la99 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Based on what I understand, Chris didn't want Carine around for his own wellbeing? He wanted to get away from his parents, and he believed that by contacting Carine he was compromising his own safety. I think?

schooler

Postby schooler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 pm

There is an interesting quote in Krakauer's book. "One of the individuals he professed to admire greatly over the last two years of his life was a heavy drinker and incorrigible philanderer who regularly beat up his girlfriends. Chris was well aware of this man's faults yet managed to forgive them." It seems that he was throwing someone under the bus without explicitly naming anyone.

Return to “The Wild Truth by Carine McCandless”