Carine McCandless is writing a memoir...

There is a new book by Carine called The Wild Truth. There will be, no doubt, a lot of talk about this book and its contents, so thought I would create a new category for it.
SteveSalmon

Carine McCandless is writing a memoir...

Postby SteveSalmon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:23 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/business/media/sister-of-into-the-wild-protagonist-is-writing-memoir.html?_r=0

Anewanddifferentsun

Why now?

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:03 am

And, by the way, she didn't just start writing it. This "project" stems from her parents' exclusion of her from the "Back to the Wild" book and video, and that occurred quite sometime ago, press release facts notwithstanding.

SteveSalmon

Re: Carine McCandless is writing a memoir...

Postby SteveSalmon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:03 pm

For clarity, there was no specificity regarding 'when' she started writing it. I really don't think it matters when. I know I certainly don't care when she started writing it. As always though, we must take what the media regurgitates with a grain of salt. The reporter incorrectly stated that Carine was/is Chris' "only sister" and that's simply not true. He has a few half sisters as well. From what I understand, her 'parents' have no role in ANY of their lives. Walt and Billie have grandchildren that they choose not to have any relationship with as well. That's terrible and speaks volumes of what kind of people they are.
The only positive thing about the 'Back To The Wild' book and video is it shared new photos that had previously never been seen. The final product of both the book AND the video were terrible, cheaply produced, and not surprisingly overpriced to boot. Perhaps the most shameful part was they chose to make Chris the author. I don't think he would've taken part in any of it.
I do find quite a bit of humor in the charity they choose to share profits with. Single moms with children. I wonder who made that decision, the cheating husband or his mistress?

~Steve Salmon

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:16 pm

You GO Steve! I am a bit ashamed to admit I fell into the "Back To The Wild" trap! I do love the pics, and Chris' journal, however, and feel I learned more about his experience. We are all only seeking truth. I feel sorry for the 'parents' for not being in children and grandchildren's lives. Life can get so confusing and bogged down. Too bad we can't just REALLY acknowledge 'stuff', purge it, forgive and move along happily...'til the next 'thing', of course. That's life!! It is so hard to know how much to 'take', especially when it is a parent being inappropriate. I cannot imagine setting such a horrible example for my children...not to mention my conscience! I cannot comprehend such selfish behavior! Some think Chris was selfish for going out on life, like he did. But, for his wound, at his age, it was the time of his life to 'find' himself. Unfortunately, we know the mistakes that were made and result of those mistakes.

Just curious...you've seen the journal, right? What about the dreams Chris documents on Days 89-91. "DREAMS--2 [u]????[u] holes?.1 at the belt. 1 at the foot Gives [u]???[u] Then, 2nd Dream No [u]???[u]" Any ideas?

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm

PS: Can't get a grip on the 'underline'!

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks "fredmerlin".
I have to admit though, Im not sure what you are asking lol. Try that again sans the underlining.

PasoPedro

Postby PasoPedro » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:45 am

Guys, do you think the book/video of "Back To The Wild" and "The Wild Truth" are worth buying and reading/viewing? Also, I wonder about the documentary "The Call of The Wild"? Is that one any good and worth purchasing? Any of these do you feel are better than the others?

I agree regarding the parents. I have sympathy, as a mother, for the pain they went through, however, the pain they inflicted upon their family is inconceivable. One can not blame Chris for setting off like he did.

I told my mother about Chris, she had a very insightful comment about it. She thinks that he never wanted his parents to know where he was and never intended to go home back to them. He would have stayed estranged from them most likely permanently.

Chris had a tremendous amount of healing to do. Leaving was his way in mending those deep wounds. Sometimes it takes being at one with Mother Nature to feel like you are connected with something larger than this world. In those moments you find an inner stillness and internal peace that can not be found elsewhere.
"Our destinies are the culmination of all the choices we've made along the way, which is why it's imperative to listen hard to your inner voice when it speaks up. Don't let anyone else's noise drown it out." -Megan McCaffarty

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Yes! That's why they call it 'Mother' Nature! She does teach some hard lessons, but is always forgiving...rejuvenation of forests. As far as books, movies, etc, that's all a matter of opinion.

OK, Steve...I'll try this again. In "Back To The Wild', the last few pages containing Chris' journal: On Days 89-91, he documents 2 dreams he had. It reads: "DREAMS-2 (blank) holes. 1 at the belt. 1 at the foot. Gives (blank). 2nd DREAM-No (blank)." If you have the book, you need a magnifying glass. I still cannot make out the words in the (blanks)... Thanks for looking at it again!

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:38 pm

I moved my answer over to the other thread Fred.

Paso- I'd say they all give to the story in their own way. The Ron Lamothe documentary is very interesting and worth watching. Some inaccuracies throughout, but, you can tell he put a great deal of hard work into it.
The 'Back to the Wild' book and DVD, while cheaply made and overpriced, are worth getting. There are quite a few new pictures to see. The captions are useless and more speculative than anything else but, the pictures fill a lot of holes.

Let me know your thoughts after you watch and read it all.

~Steve Salmon

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 am

SteveSalmon wrote:For clarity, there was no specificity regarding 'when' she started writing it. I really don't think it matters when. I know I certainly don't care when she started writing it. As always though, we must take what the media regurgitates with a grain of salt. The reporter incorrectly stated that Carine was/is Chris' "only sister" and that's simply not true. He has a few half sisters as well. From what I understand, her 'parents' have no role in ANY of their lives. Walt and Billie have grandchildren that they choose not to have any relationship with as well. That's terrible and speaks volumes of what kind of people they are.
The only positive thing about the 'Back To The Wild' book and video is it shared new photos that had previously never been seen. The final product of both the book AND the video were terrible, cheaply produced, and not surprisingly overpriced to boot. Perhaps the most shameful part was they chose to make Chris the author. I don't think he would've taken part in any of it.
I do find quite a bit of humor in the charity they choose to share profits with. Single moms with children. I wonder who made that decision, the cheating husband or his mistress?

~Steve Salmon

Well, THAT press release doesn't specify, but her own words certainly do: "After years of contemplation I am pleased to announce that I am completing a book for publication by Harper Collins Publishers / Harper One in fall 2014. Here is a link to Harper One's full press release... ." She's been writing for quite some time. Whether it was worthy of a publisher until now is another matter. But that's OK. She's not a writer by trade and apparently has little if any post-high school education, so it's understandable that she would struggle a bit.

Return to “The Wild Truth by Carine McCandless”