Reasons behind Chris's name change

An interesting topic as there seems to be a lot of theories.
Taint35

Reasons behind Chris's name change

Postby Taint35 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:21 pm

CHRIS changed his name to Alex super tramp. Who can give me some possible reasons other than it was from a
BAnd he liked and the term tramp is connected to nomad or traveler.

fredmerlin

Re: Reasons behind Chris's name change

Postby fredmerlin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm moving this reply post to: 'General Discussions" OK?

askroch1

Postby askroch1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:37 pm

I believe that the reasoning behind Chris's name change is because he wanted to change his entire life. When he found out about his father's history and past affair, he no longer felt that his family was anything that he should be proud of. He went to Alaska to forget about all of the things that have happened when he was back home. If his main reason was to get ultimate freedom, then a name change would make perfect sense

WBHSKMeono

Postby WBHSKMeono » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:32 pm

I believe that he chose Alexander to be his name because of Alexander the Great. He was someone that liked being independent and wanted help from no one. That sounds a lot like Chris. Theres a lot of opinions to why he chose Supertramp. I just think because he liked thinking of himself as a superhero of all the tramps.

WBHSKMeono

Postby WBHSKMeono » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm

I think the reason why he changed his name was because he didn't want anybody where he came from. In the book it said how he was just embarrassed of how his family lived, and he didn't want to be judged because of how wealthy they were. I believe that he chose Alexander to be his name because of Alexander the Great. He was someone that liked being independent and wanted help from no one. That sounds a lot like Chris. Theres a lot of opinions to why he chose Supertramp. I just think because he liked thinking of himself as a superhero of all the tramps.

Anewanddifferentsun

Postby Anewanddifferentsun » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:17 am

askroch1 wrote:I believe that the reasoning behind Chris's name change is because he wanted to change his entire life. When he found out about his father's history and past affair, he no longer felt that his family was anything that he should be proud of. He went to Alaska to forget about all of the things that have happened when he was back home. If his main reason was to get ultimate freedom, then a name change would make perfect sense

You're forgetting one thing (or perhaps you were never aware of it): Chris used his real name on several occasions. Very early on he gave his real name when he was cited for hitchhiking, in correspondence to Jan Burress and to Wayne Westerberg, and when he applied for the job at McDonald's in Bullhead City, Arizona, where he also opened a savings account at a bank. He had numerous pieces of identification in his wallet, hidden inside his backpack, when he died. They included his birth certificate, Social Security card, and other ID. He even told one person he was from the Washington D.C., area. This all preceded his going to Alaska. HTW.

Return to “Discussions on why Chris passed away...”